Tyres Again...

mick annick

I have trawled the archive, but not found quite what I need.

I need to replace the tubed tyres on my Ossa MAR, but need something properly road legal. From reading the other threads it seems like Michelin are the only option, though not their radial. I've looked on the Michelin website though they don't list this one, so which should I be buying?

Ta

The tubed rear michelin radial is utterly useless in mud and it should be against the trade descriptions to label it a trials tyre. If they even produce it any more.

An X11 tubeless will sit ok on the Ossa rim with a tube and security bolts. Pirelli MT43 are also road legal but it depends on what you want from the tyre other than road use as to whether you'd want to fit one of those or not.

The michelin tubed front tyre is fine.

• Like 1

As woody said all depends on if you are serious about riding trials or you just want to ride it on the road. What I don't get is if you want to ride it on the road why 1. get a trials bike and 2. why not fit road / trail tyres. Just don't get it either you want to ride trials in which case fit IRC or you don't in which case fit Pirelli, V rubber or any of the other crap masquerading as trials tyres. Oh well :wall:

Anyone ever used Mitas rear trial tyre? My Sherpa has one fitted when I bought it and I haven't been able to test it yet...

It's slightly wider than the Michelin on my modern bike. It rubbed against the chain guard.

O well, it'll be good enough to take my first steps on the Bultaco. (first steps! Get it? :rotfl: ... :blush:

• Like 2

Anyone ever used Mitas rear trial tyre? My Sherpa has one fitted when I bought it and I haven't been able to test it yet...

It's slightly wider than the Michelin on my modern bike. It rubbed against the chain guard.

O well, it'll be good enough to take my first steps on the Bultaco. (first steps! Get it? :rotfl: ... :blush:

MITAS rear is a good tyre for road work, smooth dirt and dirt track racing but is total rubbish on anything that is not smooth. As you found they are also a bit wider than a competition tyre so cause problems with bikes that have the chain close to the tyre (Bultacos)

• Like 2

OTF

Some trials (not many I grant you), involve a bit of road work, so a strictly legal bike is a must for me. I've also been known to ride to and from events on it...

So the writing on the tyre wall is the ONLY thing you would have to be concerned about on the "legal" front ? Yeah right. :chairfall: good luck making your choice whether to be competitive or "legal" LOL
  • Like 1