Anyone Ride Green Lanes - What On?

hoggyf

I've been wondering what a Beta Evo 300 4t with their long range seat/tank unit would be like as a trail bike/general off road play bike. Anyone know? I like the idea of the KTM Freeride, but it's an expensive option if you also want a high spec trials bike.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a CCM604 (Rotax engine) for a couple of years. I used it predominately for supermoto but rode the odd green lane on it too. In my opinion - far to big, far too heavy. I moved on to a WR450 which was much better. Better as a supermoto, crosser and laner.

However, I'd buy a WR250 or similar if I were buying another laner now. The leccy start is a must and the lighter weight and the more friendly power delivery would suit green lanes perfectly I reckon. Add a tooth or two to the rear sprocket if you want to blip over logs and stuff. Prepare yourself for a gentle plod home on the road though... A friend of mine who only rode lanes upgraded to one from a CRM250 and he said it was a revelation.

I've done some easy open lanes on my Montesa 315r, up in the French Alps. It was a treat, but exhausting for me over the course of a day. The long ride kit is the daddy by the looks of it. I've seen a few out there.

• 11 months later...

A couple of us have just bought TTR250 Yamahas to give it a go. Hoping to try some easy lanes soon to see how things go. TTR may be a bit high, may need a lowering link, give it a go and see ??

Sorry to put a bit of a dampener on things as I know what fun big off road bikes can be.

In Northern UK and probably many other regions I suggest for green laning the best thing to use is a small quiet 4 stroke. Anything large, noisy and powerful just upsets people and risks too much damage to the surface.

• Like 2

...trail bikes are all a compromise.. you either get to go fast on the road with a big bike and then struggle on the trail or sit high in the saddle and fall over when the going gets tough. I've had a beta 200.. too slow but brill on the trail, a Beta 400.. fast enough on road, a low seat but heavy going off road, a CCM404.. fast, agile and fun but again too tall for when the going gets tricky. I've now got a Fantic 300 kitted out for the road and trail with dual seat, lights and high gearing which is for me, just the job. Fast enough, light, low seat, and agile. And you can "wheelie" at will!lol