Preventing Your Trials Bike Getting Stolen?

pancho247

Evening guys i had my 2 beta s stolen over the weekend only had the bikes 12 months . So to ease my pain lol im telling my self il get them bck at some point the POLICE will find them . But realistically how many of you guys have had them stolen and got them back .

Me, but nothing to do with police

The annoying thing's about having a bike nicked when the cops get involved is that the cop's do less than an estate agent to help.

The other thing's are that it could well be some one who know's you through someone else , you can find your bike and thief and the cop's still do jack **** , but most annoying is that if some one complains about noise as a result of you riding some place, the cop's can take your bike . WTF !

Edited by shyted

I see 2 bike stolen from Carnforth, this just goes on and on as it has been for years

Unfortunately bike owners seem unable to face the reality that theft can happen to them. Some of the police do have a could not care less attitude to bike theft (and some other serious crime).

Even if your bike is insured you will suffer considerable financial loss if it is stolen, probably in the region of £1000 or more. A friend of mine had his Ducati road bike stolen, he had to pay £500 excess, insurance only paid out £1000 less than he paid for bike only a few months before and his premium went up for next few years coating about £500.

REGISTER your bike and stamp the registration number onto as many parts as possible. A set of stamps only costs £13 from Toolstation yest this will decrease the chance of theft /increase chance of bike being recovered by about 90%.

CCTV (including 2 cameras and 30 day recorder) only costs £300 from Screwfix.

Some people suggest removing parts - a good idea especially fuel tank or front exhaust part.

Cheers.

PS I am now the owner of a camera that will have cost in excess of £200. I found it but it had no ID on it and the police were unable to trace the owner. Also heaps of recovered stolen bikes go to the crusher - again because they can't be identified or owner cant be found.

The police have no concern what so ever about stolen bikes, Their parting words to me when mine got nicked were 'I hope you manage to find them'

You're right the 'Exponential Breeding Bacterial Scum' have nothing to lose, when they get your bike seized off them they will just steal another.

The campaign to seize all illegal off road bikes really does put wood on the fire to keep bike theft blazing!!!!

Chains, alarms, and guard dogs, All great ideas!!!

but dont advertising that you,ve got bikes in the first place helps (sorry about you lads with trailers)

If I have to wash my bike off, on the way home I choose a quiet garage,

And watch for following vehicles on the way home,,

never wash the bike at the front of the house,,,

And i never have any trial related stickers on my van,, i always back right up to the garage for loading and unloading,,

I don't think I could replace mine if it got nicked,,

The least people see the better

Edited by clay
  • Like 5

Chains, alarms, and guard dogs, All great ideas!!!

but dont advertising that you,ve got bikes in the first place helps (sorry about you lads with trailers)

If I have to wash my bike off, on the way home I choose a quiet garage,

And watch for following vehicles on the way home,,

never wash the bike at the front of the house,,,

And i never have any trial related stickers on my van,, i always back right up to the garage for loading and unloading,,

I don't think I could replace mine if it got nicked,,

The least people see the better

Agree with all that, but on the replacement front - isn't it insured ????????

Edited by johnnyboxer
  • Like 1

Hello johnnyboxer.

On the insurance thing , it's better than nothing i agree , but by the time they've finished with you ( the insurer ),you've been robbed again !

As David Marr a solicitor from Wigan once told me ," they've got pots of gold and they don't want you to have any of it back "

Sums up Pirate images and not far wrong in my eye's .

Keep them off display i totally agree with .

Best form of security , don't advertise the fact you have something .

Ted

• Like 1

Hello johnnyboxer.

On the insurance thing , it's better than nothing i agree , but by the time they've finished with you ( the insurer ),you've been robbed again !

As David Marr a solicitor from Wigan once told me ," they've got pots of gold and they don't want you to have any of it back "

Sums up Pirate images and not far wrong in my eye's .

Keep them off display i totally agree with .

Best form of security , don't advertise the fact you have something .

Ted

Out of sight, out of mind

I recently had 3 trials bike stolen from my garage which is attached to my house, it was only when reporting the claim I was made aware that any motorised vehicles would not be covered by the policy, and to check the t&c's. It's worth checking your insurance guys as you'd be surprised how many companies will not actually cover your bikes. I'm in the process of renewing my policy but haven't found a provider who is willing to insure any bikes as yet.

Edited by adamspad5

I think you are assuming they are covered under your home contents insurance policy, are you not?

They definitely won't be!!

You will need a specific motorcycle policy, like the CN offroad policy or I think MSM do one even if they are not road registered

They will be recorded on the chassis number

Cost is about

• 7 months later...

A FEW TIPS BASED ON EXPERIENCE.

Firstly we are normal honest people the thieves are not so don't fall into the trap information as follows.

Some or all of this has been wrote but now in one place please add as you see fit.

1.Advertising for sale on eBay or similar sites leaves you wide open to address identification.

2.Washing off in full view on the driveway again easy identification.

3.Sign writing on vans stating related bike products again easy identification.

4.If you sell privately never take photos of the bikes outside your home they only need the general area or postcode during sales conversation they then know where you live with the help of google street maps and google earth.

5.Don't forget they are professional thieves they know every trick and are desperate for cash on cheap resale.

6.Likely the thefts are to order and by the time you have realised a theft they are on a boat or stripped ready to sell for parts.

7.The Police will do nothing except give the impression that they are doing all they can the reality is they know there is little chance and frankly can't be bothered.

8.Considering selling or part exchanging through dealers but note when you register the bike it's registered to your address.

9.Transporting with open trailers so being followed home makes easy identification that you own bikes and so the location of storage.

10.Don't store in the garage got to go in the house the wife will be less upset than a financial loss okay remove the petrol and make sure it's clean which it should be anyway !

11.Meet a potential viewer at the local garage with a few of your mates just in case -so easy to show a buyer at storage address he doesn't buy then tells his mate they nick it a few days later.

Our bikes were stolen two years ago now replaced with road registration and so insured which was £130 a bike per year-all bikes are fitted with a tracker which was £165 and £13 per month and chained together and to the kitchen floor and alarmed all doors and windows not to mention the dogs.

Lastly even at the trials or practice ground chain it to the van or trailer it's just so easy to walk off with a trials bike while the kettle is on!

Please add any other tips to this thread to help the unwary.

The only people to stop this is us bike owners!

Do I understand correctly that the thieves are coming to events to find their target bikes?

If the location has an entry gate, perhaps work with the owners to put in a video system to record every vehicle in and out. If no real entry gate. post a person with a camera who can see all the vehicles coming and going. Photo or video each vehicle and its registration tag.

Also you could add a place on the sign up sheet for people to write their vehicle tag number. That way, if a bike gets stolen you know which vehicles were competitors and which were not.

• Like 1

Unfortunately I learned the hard way and had 3 bikes stolen last year, I don't feel the locks and chains which were cut was a problem and have now invested more in alarm systems. If they want it, they'll take it. But they'll make a hell if a lot of noise first.

• 4 weeks later...

I think you are assuming they are covered under your home contents insurance policy, are you not?

They definitely won't be!!

You will need a specific motorcycle policy, like the CN offroad policy or I think MSM do one even if they are not road registered

They will be recorded on the chassis number

Cost is about £125/ bike for up to about a £3k value

MSM won't touch non road registered bikes.

CN would (frame & engine numbers required which is good) and will do a 2013 Gas Gas TXT Pro 300 (even though the 300cc model wasn't in their records!! only, 125, 200, 250 , 280 & 320) not road registered and insured for fire & theft only, excess £100, £250 worth of tool insurance, data tagging kit worth £30, it’s got to locked up as I've stated it is and be in a brick or concrete built garage all for £179.

They kept asking me if I was the registered keeper and I replied I was the owner and the bike is not road registered hence I'm not the registered keeper and then the question was asked again!! (I do despair with these insurance companies...)

I think the price is high considering I only pay about £100 more for my car that is better insured and I'm much more likely to claim due to driving it on the road and the other idiots around.

I wish the ACU would get into bed with an insurance company who really understands the issues us off roaders have.