Water In Barrel And Exhaust

vmeldrew

Had to launch my TXT pro the last few metres up a hill yesterday, rather than have it land on top of me at the bottom.

Unfortunately the throttle stuck open, but I managed to get to it and kill the engine within 4-5 seconds.

Let it cool down a bit, but there was very little compression, probably about 50% or normal. No strange noises when turning it over.

Anyway whipped the head off and there was water on the piston and a good 50cc of water in the exhaust header pipe.

The two rubber head seals seemed to be in place and in good condition.

I haven't taken the barrel off yet, but the rings seem to look and feel intact. Strangely though there were marks on the piston and head, like a small piece of metal had been bouncing around in there. There was no evidence of any loose buts of metal. The engine oil is not milky, so I don't think and water got down the cylinder. Spark plug looked ok too.

Has anybody had any experience of the head seals just leaking (as he grabs a hand full of straws....).

Al

Well there Is quite a difference between water and coolant

The smell and taste are quite noticeable

If you ran the engine and did not get it up to operating temp before tear down then water in the exhaust would be normal

About 70% of what comes out the tailpipe is water vapor

Did you stick a ring?, that would lower compression

A few seconds at high RPM should not damage the engine. Watch some of the pro riders clean theirs out before a big splatter - they rev to the moon. If the bike was upside down when you shut it off, some water may have run from the exhaust into the cylinder. This in itself should not be a big problem. If the O-rings were in good condition and in the proper grooves, the chance of getting coolant into the piston is quite limited.

I would be concerned about the low compression. Get the jug off and look very closely at the rings and the ring grooves in the piston. I fractured ring might have broken a piece of the piston off.

Turns out one of the gudgeon pin clips has made a bid for freedom and decided to exit the engine.

The water was coolant and the piston and barrel are trashed.

The rings are ok though!

WHEW!!! for a second there I thought it was a total loss!!!!

OK enough smart a*** comments from me.

Hope ya get it sorted quickly, and good thing you found the problem.

What kind of pin clips does it have?

If they are snap rings (with 2 small holes for a snap ring plier), they have a front and a back.

Put them in backward and they come out.

Especially if you put the openings at 3 or 9 o'clock.

You'll want to pay attention to this when you put it back together.

I've also seen clips that were not tempered properly and had no spring!

Now I give every one a little twist and see if it stays there.