95 Jt160 Gearing?

ihaterocks

I have a 1995 GAS GAS JT160 and lately I have been hitting the top of the power band in the lower gears while riding in sections. I feel slower then most bikes even the newer 125's. Theres also this what I like to call no go period where the power doesn't kick in for almost a half turn of the throttle. It was never ridden in competetion by its first owner. My boyfriend rides in the Advanced class and he even says it seems unusually slow. It has a 10 tooth sproket in the front and I was thinking about changing it to an 11 tooth. Should I even mess with the gearing?

You say "where the power doesn't kick in for almost a half turn of the throttle." Check the free play in the cable. If the cable has too much slack, the carburetor will not open when it should. This will also result in the engine not being able to rev up as high as it should. Net result not much power.

My '94 JT25 (250) has a 10 tooth front and it also revs out so I ride many sections in second. Of course, the 250 has more torque than your bike.