Joined The 4Rt Appreciation Club

kev69

Hi all picked up my new to me 2010 repsol 4rt yesterday. Use to riding a gas gas 280 pro had a go on a few four strokes and liked them so bit the bullit and treated myself. Went up woods after work today must admit very impressed loved it. Has anyone got any tips or does and don'ts to help me out please ? Plus it was very dry today so can't comment but I have heard a few people say they can't get grip on them in the wet has anyone any comment on this please ? Thanks for any replies in advance. Still got a grin on my face :-)

Still got a grin on my face :-)

Kev69, scroll through this forum. Search 'bling' and 'tips' and you'll have hours of reading.

The Gent who owned mine before me used to stall it. I bought it and stalled it constantly. Loved it but stalled it-because I tried to ride it like an old thumper and force it down to a tickover pace going down hills. Once I accepted that 4RTs have a very high idle speed and used the clutch earlier the problem went away. Effectively, I had to change my riding style. Smiles got even broader then.

Three things that made an immediate difference early on with my 4RT: wider more rearward pegs, 44 tooth rear sprocket, and Jitsie DB killer to keep the noise down (important for driveway trials).

They are different to a two stroke. I have an 09 4RT and thought the new Gassers etc might be better so I bought a good used 280 Gasser. I sold the Gasser after about 9 months as I didn't feel it gave me any advantage except on trick riding stuff which I'm poor at anyway. I had kept the Mont and enjoy riding it even more now, as I know its still competitive.

I tend to use bottom gear on nearly everything which allows you to roll the throttle off and on to maintain grip as opposed to the two stoke tactic of big gears drop the clutch in and out style. I always reckon that it took me 3 months to learn the new techniques and I had quite a few 5's learning. Rode a very muddy trial the other week, loadsa grip for a 4RT.

Once in a while they get hard to start....

Tip #1 - NO THROTTLE when you're starting it. It won't fire the plug or the injector if it sees the throttle open. This is the ECU's way of keeping the bike from starting if the throttle happens to be jammed open somehow (and another important reason, see tip #2).

Tip #2 - If it won't start, it's "flooded". Open the throttle all the way, kick it once or twice. Because it won't fire or squirt (see tip #1), This will clear the combustion chamber and ready things for the next start. Also figure it may charge the capacitor for the next start but don't know if the cap actually stores any energy, or if it just smooths the power pulses from the generator so the computer is happier.

Last, but not least, if it stops working it's usually the stator, I think, I have heard of more than one going bad.

The only issue that I had with mine, was fouling plugs when it was new; fouled 2 plugs in the 1st 6 months. My dealer told me NOT to touch the throttle for the first minute or two when it was cold, not even a single blip of the throttle, and that solved the problem, the plugs lasted forever.

I went the other way, went from the 4RT to a GasGas 300. Love them both!