Honda Tlr200 Restoration.

joelewis

Hello,

Used to have a 2007 Sherco cabeystany when I was younger but sadly had to sell due to buying my first house.

Got into superbikes, trackdays but trial bikes never really left me. Didn't want a new trial bike due to not having much free time as wanted something I could only use maybe once a month yet not lose me much / if any money.

So I came across this for £1000.

hondawoods_zps740f0bf4.jpg

Tidy and a godd runner, started stripping straight away.

I'll just chuck a load of pictures up, you'll follow it.

IMG_0875_zpse166a5ff.jpg

hondatlr200_zpsc0b14c5c.jpg

IMG_0895_zps026fc6ba.jpg

IMG_0894_zps2fa04822.jpg

IMG_0915_zpsfa112184.jpg

Thats where i'm currently at with it.

Getting new tyres next week, front forks are away at philpots getting rechromed, engine I need to vapour blast down, I'v also ordered the alloy yolks to alter the head angle slightly as I didn't fancy cutting my frame. Various bits and pieces. Getting a new cam chain for her.

I also bought a new original rear rim as a spare for when I get a TLR250. Had both them anodised Gold while I had my new wheels built up, hence why I have two sets. I'll be running tubeless on this though, there Morad GasGas 36 spoke rims.

Edited by joelewis

Nice job, What do you think the total cost will be?

Do you do the TIG welding yourself?

Is it electronic ignition or points, If its points its well worth checking for camshaft wear as this varies the points gap / timing and can cause a difficult to diagnose misfire.

Cheers

I do the welding with help from a mate. I'm a Joiner by trade.

Total cost I can imagine to be around £3,200, the powdercoating is mates rates etc. The major costs are the wheels, forks, tank and exhaust. Originally I set out to tidy it up - I'v gone way past that stage now. But it doesn't bother me, It won't be sold - plus It'll be like a brand new bike when complete.

Its points, yeah - I will be checking for wear. One of the plastic camchain guilds has f**ked up aswell so engines getting stripped to get checked.

Edited by joelewis

Looking good.Just done one myself. PS the 200 is CDI ignition. Honda stopped using points late 70s.

If you do the cam chain and tensioners your self don't rely on the tensioner to work as factory intended, remove the flywheel and sort the tension manually, not too tight..

Andy,

Fork legs are costing £160. Really good price I thought considering that inc collection and delivery service. They only had a few spots at the top so didn't really need to do them - I just felt it would let the bike down and annoy me knowing they were there.,

Nice job, What do you think the total cost will be?

Do you do the TIG welding yourself?

Is it electronic ignition or points, If its points its well worth checking for camshaft wear as this varies the points gap / timing and can cause a difficult to diagnose misfire.

Cheers

Damn. Wish I could weld. Really Nice job.

Can you tell us more about the hubs and rim work?

Cheers Ross

I paid £80 for used GasGas rims, my original rear one was knackered plus I wanted to run tubeless anyway. Managed to get a brand new, never used original rear DID rim, so got the original front and the new rear polished and anodised gold as a spare (as I know how hard they are to find second hand)

Total cost was £420 not inc the price of the GasGas rims. It was on the xpensive side I thought but the finish is exceptional. Hubs are standard TLR200 hubs powdercoated satin black, stainless steel spokes with the rims anodised Gold with a polished lip. So that hopefully it won't show up quite as much when I mark the edge of the rims.

Yeah, I could of bought a nearly new trials bike for what this is costing me. But this once done shouldn't lose much, if any money. Which is my main reason. Plus I'v always loved the look of 80's Honda trial bikes.

Just paid for this.

newyokeshonda_zps94a657d7.jpg

newyokeshonda1_zps1b8fe383.jpg