Gasket Failing ?

gazzaecowarrior

I have black spots splattered on the rear rim. I thought it may be poor adjustment of the fuel screw on my dellorto carb. It could be this however the bike seems to rev well with it one turn out or three. I confess I dont have a good enough ear for carb fine tuning. Bike is a Rev3 125. I think I may be losing coolant but this is minimal I certainly havent got coolant in the tranny oil. Could it be the head / base gasket failing ? Is there any way of checking ? I have no loss of power and the bike is running sweet as a nut. Help would be appreciated.

It's not very likely you have liquid fuel blowing out of your exhaust, I'm sure it would foul a plug and run poorly

A vast majority of what comes out of a muffler is water, especially during warmup

When full hot it is super heated vapour so you don't really notice it

Coolant consumption usually stinks like coolant and is more likely to get combustion debris into the coolant than leak coolant into the high compression area of the combustion chamber

So, not sure what's on your rear wheel, but maybe 2 stroke oil like Dad says

What does it taste like ? :)

It's not very likely you have liquid fuel blowing out of your exhaust, I'm sure it would foul a plug and run poorly

A vast majority of what comes out of a muffler is water, especially during warmup

When full hot it is super heated vapour so you don't really notice it

Coolant consumption usually stinks like coolant and is more likely to get combustion debris into the coolant than leak coolant into the high compression area of the combustion chamber

So, not sure what's on your rear wheel, but maybe 2 stroke oil like Dad says

What does it taste like ? :)

Thanks for the information. Very helpful and well explained. I've only got deionized water as coolant at the moment. It does look like two stroke but I can't understand why there is so much of it. I'm sure my problem is my inability to set up the dellorto carb. I'm use to Mikuni and amal carbs with air screws. I may drain the coolant and look if its contaminated. I'm wondering if deionized water evaporates quicker than proper coolant and that is why I have minimal loss in the coolant. Any ideas?

Have you repacked your silencer? You will probably find it is full oil from put-putting around, get a new packing kit from beta uk, job done and the bike will run and sound better!

Edited by jfc