Beta Evo 2009 250 Frame Concern

gazzaecowarrior

Just bought myself a 2009 Evo. Bike has hardly been ridden and is on original tyres and sprockets. Checked with lampkins and it is still on the original frame. Lampkins reassured me that they would still replace frame if it did crack as they would the swing arm too.

Due to recent injury (I thought I wouldnt ride again to be honest) this bike will have very light use from me. Was just wondering how high is the chance of my frame being faulty and where did the frames use to break ? I read an old post which suggested that it was mainly the top riders who are heavy on their bikes that had the problems but others suggest it was more common. Just wanted to know peoples thoughts. I know people are going to say why not just buy a 2010 or newer but this bike is like new and was just too good to turn down for the money.

Gareth

The frames used to crack around the top engine mount where the petrol tank is. The cracking is caused by the force transferring up from the bashplate through the engine and up to the top motor mount causing stess up there. I saw one guy on this forum who had his crack in the head tube area, i'm not sure that is as common as the other cracking areas. When i bought my 2009, it had already had a frame change from the previous owner and i was told that the swing arm was also updated but it turns out it wasn't. I ended up cracking the swingarm in 3 places (not all the way through) and luckily I bought it from the beta dealer down here so he happily replaced it for me. The area where the swing arm cracked was on the underside hollowed out bit where the bracing is. The cracking is more common to riders who go hard, but you really need to keep an eye on it just in case, even if you aren't doing big stuff.

Zac.

The frames used to crack around the top engine mount where the petrol tank is. The cracking is caused by the force transferring up from the bashplate through the engine and up to the top motor mount causing stess up there. I saw one guy on this forum who had his crack in the head tube area, i'm not sure that is as common as the other cracking areas. When i bought my 2009, it had already had a frame change from the previous owner and i was told that the swing arm was also updated but it turns out it wasn't. I ended up cracking the swingarm in 3 places (not all the way through) and luckily I bought it from the beta dealer down here so he happily replaced it for me. The area where the swing arm cracked was on the underside hollowed out bit where the bracing is. The cracking is more common to riders who go hard, but you really need to keep an eye on it just in case, even if you aren't doing big stuff.

Zac.

ZacMany thanks for that info. Very helpfull.

I would add that I had my 2009 for around 18 months and never had a problem with either the frame or the swingarm. Admittedly I don't ride World Round type sections, but it got regular Centre/Group action. I dont know what proportion of the frames failed, but if its looking good now then I would only worry when you have something to worry about :rolleyes:

• Like 1