Spanish Fiasco?

mattylad

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Best yet!!!!!

So you advocate that the WTC have the same number of lines as the Scottish, correct?

Are you an individual who believes that good things can't be made even better? (I didn't say the Scottish sucks, I just say it can be made better, by giving Dougie more of a points challenge, and giving the least talented rider there more of a chance to not drag his bike throught sections all day. Or should we just have ONE line at the WTC, where Bou gets 0 points, and the least talented rider there drags/crashes his bike around all day - that's not really "riding" - for 100+ points?)

Edited by funtrials

one of the unique things about the scottish is that decent riders can have a crack at beating the likes of dougie etc on a good day if they have a bit of luck etc ..... i dont think its relevant for this topic

I see your point. So then why not make the WTC the same way, since beating Bou would be, today, better than even beating Dougie, right? Why deny a rider that possibility? One line for all.

Edited by funtrials

The reality is that sections that test the best means that there isnt many more than 30 in the world that can ride at this level, the fact that the 15 that dont isnt down to severity otherwise it would be easy enough to solve.

Agreed but perhaps at this point we should take a step back and ask why this has happened. I don't believe that Toni or Adam are better riders than, say, Yrjo or Martin in their heydays and back then entries of 80 in a W/C event were normal. So what has happened that has caused this vast gap between Toni and Adam and guys like James Fry and Sam Haslam and between Yrjo and Martin and a good BTC rider of that era? What has happened that has resulted in this gulf?

Dabster, returning to your second point in your statement above, why don't the other 15 riders of the 30 who you believe are capable of riding at that level enter W/C events?

Edited by toofasttim

Totally unfair to compare todays riders with riders of the 70s 80s or even the 90s.

Why there were such large starting numbers previously is because 99% of all the sections were done with wheels on the ground in that period.

Who is to say the early world champs had the nerve and the balancing skills the riders of this last decade posses. These latest riders are freaks acquiring and developing split second, pinpoint accuracy on bikes that was never thought of earlier. The riders of today have nurtured the skills we see today from babys on pushies and converted that talent to do the what is now on a motorised Trials bike. Their commitment and talent is way out of reach of any part time "gun" novice.

• Like 1

So you advocate that the WTC have the same number of lines as the Scottish, correct?

Are you an individual who believes that good things can't be made even better?

You really need to think before pressing the keyboard, as I said before what the hell has the SSDT got to do with this thread only you and you alone can relate too, but I will humour you?

Our club trial has the same number of 'Lines' as the WTC but again I really don't see the relevance?

Back to the SSDT to help you a tiny bit in 1996 I was riding my 19th SSDT, Jim McCom phoned my brother asking him for an entry as I was one of only 197 ish riders, the reason I suspect is that the sections got too hard and with 2 1/2 hours delay at Grey Mares Tail due to the rules allowing you to hop and stop for 5 minutes made it a looooong week. Then Willie Dalling said lets go back to our roots and make it NO STOP the rest my friend is history?

Over subscribed each year if you want an entry your in the Ballot, the best riders will come and don't win (Cabastany) and the formula works so why in Gods name would YOU want to change it? I have done 24 SSDT's I would be curious to know how many you have done so you can gauge an opinion, not that you need to I think everyone knows the story?

Yeh the SSDT ain't working thank christ your not in charge to make it better?

The WTC needed to change they are trying things and it may or may not work, but in your world you want to go back to the broken rules and implode, I would love to hear your comprehensive ideas on how you would make it so much better?

• Like 4

The more time that goes on with this No Stop lark the more of a proper "Bulls Up" it has all become, those guys Michaud and clan are throwing Trials in the trash, the first round with Fugi winning was laughable after watching him stop 8 times in one section, the results show you how it dont work, the riders are all over the place with results, OK its settling down a little, but come on, how can a few old farts decide whats good for the sport? let the riders decide.

Edited by ironbelly
  • Like 1

The more time that goes on with this No Stop lark the more of a proper "Bulls Up" it has all become, those guys Michaud and clan are throwing Trials in the trash, the first round with Fugi winning was laughable after watching him stop 8 times in one section, the results show you how it dont work, the riders are all over the place with results, OK its settling down a little, but come on, how can a few old farts decide whats good for the sport? let the riders decide.

So did you not start another post/topic/poll on this today? Deleted?

This is only my personal opinion, but I actually like watching WTC a lot more now it's non-stop. You seem to see a lot more variations of line, rather than everyone bouncing and hopping into exactly the same wheel rutt.

And before I get shot down for saying that, I do prefer to ride stop allowed myself.

• Like 2

I actually think Bou is not much of a better rider than vesty was having seen both up close, in some ways they are very similar in approach. The difference now is a) the bikes are probably 3 or four times better and B) techniques have improved year on year to enable the riders to use the full potential of these improved bikes. At the same time the rider just starting out, even if he has the latest factory replica is probably not much better than me on my OSSA mar way back in the 70's.

The 15 I'm thinking of would consist of a few of the Japenese maybe one or two antipodeans, then mainly Junior class winners like Gomez Wigg Gibert even Smage and Webb, a few french lads, these have all dropped out/moved on in very recent years, not forgetting taddy!

Whilst taddy may be the exception the cost of travelling around the world, no real factory support except for one or two, means that unfortunately to ride wtc you have to self fund pretty much outside top six or so

This is illustrated particularily by Gratterola who has funding from Italy, Jack Challoner riding for an italian team as have dibs and wiggy, and Sandra Gomez still competing when her brother has moved to extreme enduro.

I am particularily worried that the only change the FIM have done is to change the rules,why?

Why have they not followed through on their statement that "other changes will follow"?

Why when they have DHL as a partner is there no arrangement to transport bikes to events?

Why do the factories not "product support" more riders?

Why do the factories not have a bonus scheme to incentivise riders to compete? (like mx in the states)

Why do the top riders have to pay to enter events when often money is taken on the gate?

Why is prize money given at American championship events but not at wtc?

• Like 3

These latest riders are freaks acquiring and developing split second, pinpoint accuracy on bikes that was never thought of earlier.

So it's the bikes/tyres that have led to these "freaks' (I prefer the term "super riders" ;) )? Or is the fact that they start young and on pushies? Are they better than Mart or Yrjo? I'm not knocking them but I think you might have a good point.