2014 Montesa?

gooseneck

Dabster – what’s your agenda? I cannot understand your negativity directed at a product you obviously have no intention of ever owning, I find it odd.

For my part I am a 4RT convert. With a view to purchasing a new bike I tried those available at BVM’s test day and came away undecided. A reliable independent supplier of Montesa’s suggested I invested in an older 4RT in an effort to establish if that was a direction I may consider going in. I purchased a 2008 at what I believed to be a fair price, safe in the knowledge that due to their quality 4RT’s have a following, hold their money so therefore offer a get out clause.

I rode the 2008 in four events over consecutive weeks; they were my first outings on a four stroke after 35 years plus on 2T’s. Truly enjoyed riding and maintaining the 4RT so I part exchanged the 08 in for a newer item, still very happy with it.

Once the new models are available I will seriously consider buying one.

Fred Savage (non competitive inexperienced spastic of a rider that can’t tell a good bike from a bad one).

• Like 2

Dabster – what’s your agenda? I cannot understand your negativity directed at a product you obviously have no intention of ever owning, I find it odd.

For my part I am a 4RT convert. With a view to purchasing a new bike I tried those available at BVM’s test day and came away undecided. A reliable independent supplier of Montesa’s suggested I invested in an older 4RT in an effort to establish if that was a direction I may consider going in. I purchased a 2008 at what I believed to be a fair price, safe in the knowledge that due to their quality 4RT’s have a following, hold their money so therefore offer a get out clause.

I rode the 2008 in four events over consecutive weeks; they were my first outings on a four stroke after 35 years plus on 2T’s. Truly enjoyed riding and maintaining the 4RT so I part exchanged the 08 in for a newer item, still very happy with it.

Once the new models are available I will seriously consider buying one.

Fred Savage (non competitive inexperienced spastic of a rider that can’t tell a good bike from a bad one).

You go ahead Fred, there is an independent dealer/supplier near me who does a cracking job with 4rts and he even set up a special map for me when I had one.

Don't misinterpret what I have said above they are good bikes, probably as reliable as anything, certainly better if you don't fettle much, and well made.

If its for you then great but when people gush gush and gush some more I think its fair game to say Whoa!

I think a lot of riders who aren't competing for championships are just keen to get a reliable bike you can just ride and not spend the rest of the week preparing for next weeks trial.

Montesa have been that that bike but being so pricey a few haven't taken the plunge. If Montesa price there bikes along with the other manufacturers I think it's jobs a good un. Folk are saying its not a new bike because it hasn't got a new frame , it does have a new engine though and the Repsol one looks the dogs.

• Like 4

After riding the 4t mont now for 8 years and tested most other bikes along the way, there's not alot between any of them, yes the mont is heavier, but the chassis and suspension more than makes up for it. Gassers and shercos are light, great for trick riding but they are really twitchy and quite hard work.

There may not be any top riders on them in domestic series, but a std bike is more than capeable of finishing at the top of the btc given to dabs or browny.

I might not have won alot on it, but i've led expert btc trials in the past, been somewhere near in nationals. Given more time to ride, i'm sure i could do it again and wouldn't ride a 2t any better.

Theres nothing wrong with the bike, its very rewarding to ride. Its a misconception that you need all "the trick bits" to make them competetive. Just get on and learn how to ride them.

Without doubt price has put many people off in the past, its a hard one to explain to the missus about wanting to spend 6k on a trials bike. Even 2nd hand ones aren't cheap.

• Like 5

You go ahead Fred, there is an independent dealer/supplier near me who does a cracking job with 4rts and he even set up a special map for me when I had one.

Don't misinterpret what I have said above they are good bikes, probably as reliable as anything, certainly better if you don't fettle much, and well made.

If its for you then great but when people gush gush and gush some more I think its fair game to say Whoa!

"FFS" Dabster, what are you on, no one has been " gush, gush and gush some more" apart from you. This is a Montesa forum page that people are interested in discusing the New 260, clearly your not, except just putting it down. The above post may go some way to addressing you negative posts, but hey, stop Trolling and spend sometime chatting with your mates on the Gas Gas and Bultaco forums instead of dissing the new "heavy, uncompetitive, old fashioned, expensive" bike you haven't yet ridden. Hopefully you might get a go on one and maybe it might change your mind.

• Like 3

JRSunt is on the money!

I also have been riding a 4rt for 8 years. In fact, I am still riding my original 05 4rt which I bought from new! It's as standard, bar a few cosmetic changes and slightly different gearing. You don't need to do anything to them but ride them!

They may be expensive but my mont doesn't owe me a penny. Iv had nothing wrong with it, I'm out most weekends on it and I can still win the odd trial on it!

If Montesa - Honda think that all they needed was to make a few changes to them, then that's good enough for me!

I personaly think the new cheaper option will be a big hit especially with clubman riders such as myself.

Watch this space !

• Like 1

After riding the 4t mont now for 8 years and tested most other bikes along the way, there's not alot between any of them, yes the mont is heavier, but the chassis and suspension more than makes up for it. Gassers and shercos are light, great for trick riding but they are really twitchy and quite hard work.

There may not be any top riders on them in domestic series, but a std bike is more than capeable of finishing at the top of the btc given to dabs or browny.

I might not have won alot on it, but i've led expert btc trials in the past, been somewhere near in nationals. Given more time to ride, i'm sure i could do it again and wouldn't ride a 2t any better.

Theres nothing wrong with the bike, its very rewarding to ride. Its a misconception that you need all "the trick bits" to make them competetive. Just get on and learn how to ride them.

Without doubt price has put many people off in the past, its a hard one to explain to the missus about wanting to spend 6k on a trials bike. Even 2nd hand ones aren't cheap.

The only extras you need are a bit of talent and a big dose of confidence, trick bits are mainly just bling. Will we be seeing you on a new one at the Wallace next year then :0)

I recently heard a saying. (from DJ Denzil's Dad) that its the rider who rides the section not the bike.

\

Ya, but try "riding" a section without a motorcycle under you.............I say 50/50 at a minimum

Edited by kramit

That's why its best to test ride as many bikes as you can,....then pick the one that brings them odds up towards 75% bike 25% rider.... :chairfall:

Y'all got one of those trials bikes with an automatic pilot? Only thing that would help me

• Like 1

Hmmm, a new repsol would be nice... maybe it'll be a change of plastics tho.

I recon that will be fairly easy, though the tank area of the rear mudguard may need modding, but it will make the older model, look similar to the new one, for not too much money. ;-)

When was there last podium in the BTC?

When was the last National win on one?

Who has won a centre championship on one?

Jarvis and Sagar both did well in that small trial up in Scotland in the last few years - maybe you missed it

• Like 1