Bantam Rear Hub

penno350

Looking at using a Bantam rear hub on my C15 build. The distance between the inner forks of the swingarm is 175mm, is it recommended to have the hub widened slightly? and can anyone recommend someone to do it?

Alot of cub/Bantam hubs are widened as they are considered stronger.

My point 're Alan Whitton hubs is that unless your doing the work yourself, you could spend a chunk of money on a 40 + year old hub that could start to disintegrate, like wot mine did !

The reason Cub/Bantam rear hubs are often widened is that the rim needs the spokes altering to allow for sufficient chain clearance when using a 4.00/18 tyre, in other words the rim goes a little bit over to the right hand side of the bike.

This means that the spokes on the sprocket side of the hub lean over a bit more but the right hand side spokes are near vertical loosing the triangular pattern between hub, spokes & rim which weakens the wheel structure.

Widening the hub by increasing the width between the bearings regains the triangular shape which evens things up again, a side benefit is that the load on the wheel bearings is moved nearer to the fork ends of the swing arm so strengthening the whole thing.

Edited by trialsrfun