Moving To Enduro?

toxiic_pompey

I've always thought about moving to enduro.

I think I'd rather enduro because near me I have many more open areas where I can ride and there is even an Enduro track nearby used by David Knight.

I would love to stick with trials but I think i'd have more fun with enduro and that's what it's all about for me "FUN"

I was wondering how different it is from Trials, I mean there's obviously the speed aspect of it but i'd love to get involved on the enduro scene and see what it's like!

Also if I was to get a bike does anyone know any things to look out for? (I know this is a trials forum but yeah i'd like to ask here)

HI

The change is not so easy. All possible but will take time. You will be slow but you have guessed that, your upper body will not belong to you. Trials is all legs, you don't realise until you ride a big bike, heavy tall beasts they are. Enduros are long, around 5 hours. No walking sections just riding, well you could be pushing at times. your first few you will be totally stuffed. you will love it.

Bike choice is not easy either. What class will suit you, 2 t 4 t big or small cc. Remember a 300 2t will do well over the legal speed limit, scary fast . The small cc need lots of gear changes in comparison.

The best thing is to go along to a enduro and talk to people they are a good group of people. The people left at the pits have to be friendly as the riders are away most of the day.

Last thing is its a lot more expensive. My son has just made the change ( trials is still part of his fun) and the last enduro we went to was 220km, that's around 15 lts of fuel for a 250 2t. He was 12th fastest in the 3rd terrain test, fell off in terrain test 5 and from then on he was in the last 6 in all the test after that. no injuries just knackered.

If this sound like your kind of fun LETS GO RIDE.

Pete

• Like 1

I came the other way Enduro - Trials

Please understand that like most things in life its horses for courses. For me the following swung it towards trials.

• Enduro wasn't unfriendly (far from it), but trials was friendlier, mostly because its more relaxed.
  • Trials starts at 10:30am, Enduro earlier. Lots of trials are closer to my home.
  • I can ride trials alongside my son. Enduro we have to ride separate days.
  • Trials I can be competitive on a 7 year old bike, Enduro not so much so.
  • I can afford to compete in trials for 3 years for every 1 year racing Enduro.
  • Crashes in Trials tend to have less serious consequences. My wife worries less = more passes out!
  • I was destroying my knees in Enduro. 2 keyhole surgeries, 1 broken collar bone, 2 concussions.
  • Riding trials I realised that I had a lot to learn about riding, even after 20 years on road bikes and motocross / Enduro for 5 years.

Having said that though if your young, need adrenaline, love jumps, need speed, power drifting, want to train to be competitive, can afford the bikes (and more importantly the spares)... there's nothing like Enduro. :beer:

Dom

Edited by dombush
  • Like 2

People moving from one sport to another often encourages others to follow. I moved from trials to motocross. When I first rode my 414 montesa I thought what had I done, it seemed huge and powerful even though I was used to 1100cc road bikes. soon mastered it and I think trial riding is good grounding. I had a WR 400 Husqvarna enduro but never competed on it. I would suggest getting something small with soft bottom end power, You will more than make up in the nadgery bits anything you loose on the fast bits.

Kawasaki 200cc 2 stroke KDX used to be a brilliant bike, smallish, easy to handle in the tricky bits and fast enough to be competitive on an mx track.

cheers

there is a frightening amount of people round my way selling their trials bikes and trying enduro.

what gives?

Age? I reached a point in my mid twenties when I realized I wasn't getting any better at trials and needed a break so took up enduros. Had a razzle. Great sport and people. But, like most guys who move from trials to enduros, sooner or later, you return to trials.

We are competing on a 07 ktm 250 2t. Its fine has low hours and has had a easy life. Don't think you need the latest bike for starting out. When the bikes holding you back you can buy something new.

Warning you will have dreams, maybe wet ones or even nightmares but one word will feature always EXTREAM. With a trials background it has to be in the bucket list to complete a extream enduro.

So when that day comes remember Pain is temporarily quitting is forever.

Pete

I've always thought about moving to enduro.

I think I'd rather enduro because near me I have many more open areas where I can ride and there is even an Enduro track nearby used by David Knight.

I would love to stick with trials but I think i'd have more fun with enduro and that's what it's all about for me "FUN"

I was wondering how different it is from Trials, I mean there's obviously the speed aspect of it but i'd love to get involved on the enduro scene and see what it's like!

Also if I was to get a bike does anyone know any things to look out for? (I know this is a trials forum but yeah i'd like to ask here)

Are you by chance on the FIM trials rules committee?

Edited by funtrials