Ty250 Twinshock Forks Or Mono Forks

mjb

Hi,

I've been restoring a 1977 Yam Ty250. The forks are in really good condition apart from one which has 3 spots (quite deep) and the threads are about to give up on the legs where you bolt on the mudguard bracket.

Fitted new seals and clips before riding it at the weekend and the seal has gone!

My questions are although I can have them re-chromed are the forks off a mono (36mm) any better? Any advice?

Im assuming I will also need to have the wheel, brakes and clamps to match? do these fit directly to an twinshock Yam.

One thing I notice is that the spindle is not centrally located as on the twinshock, will this make a difference?

Cheers

Hi,

I've been restoring a 1977 Yam Ty250. The forks are in really good condition apart from one which has 3 spots (quite deep) and the threads are about to give up on the legs where you bolt on the mudguard bracket.

Fitted new seals and clips before riding it at the weekend and the seal has gone!

My questions are although I can have them re-chromed are the forks off a mono (36mm) any better? Any advice? Yes the TY Mono forks have a better action

Im assuming I will also need to have the wheel, brakes and clamps to match? do these fit directly to an twinshock Yam. Yes you will need the clamps, wheel and brakes from the Mono, or do a lot of modification work

One thing I notice is that the spindle is not centrally located as on the twinshock, will this make a difference? If you use TY mono clamps, the steering geometry will be fine, but if you use the TY twinshock clamps (bored out), there will be too little trail in the geometry. Also, using the TY mono clamps on a TY twinshock frame will severely reduce steering lock.

Cheers

Edited by feetupfun

The front end from a mono will fit on without a massive amount of re engineering.

However the mono yokes have more offset, so this will make the steering worse.

To correct this you will have to cut the frame and alter the frame head angle.

The alternative is bore out the twinshock yokes to 36mm.

I'm no good with working out geometry or trail but I've ridden a few Yam framed Majesties with with TY Mono front ends and a couple of Godden framed too, and the steering was fine on all of them, with no alteration to head angle etc.

• Like 1

Fair comment Woody.

If you compare the yokes side by side there is big difference between them.

The leading axle of the mono forks adds more to the length.

It just looks a big difference when comparing in the garage.

But if it rides ok then that answers the question.

Or you could try filling the holes in with epoxy. I've done that on a couple of sets of TY 175 forks which have 12 and 6 months use on them respectively with no hint of a leak.

If you do get some other forks though, let me know, I'll be happy to take the old ones off your hands.......

Mark

Thanks for all your replies guys!

I've heard of the epoxy trick. Might just give it a go in the meantime.

Have any of you guys tried fitting new springs? Im realsistic I know Im never goint to get a modern fork feel on a 30+ year old bike unless I want to spent a lot of money.

I heard Magicals do them but the website is down and Graig is not returning my email so guess he doesnt do them anymore.

France Trial Classic have them on their website too.

France Trial Classic do magical springs for the TY as they are the same as the KT250 front springs which i ordered last week and arrived in the post today in Oz so you get fast delivery as well

Roger has them in his TY175 fitted with 250 forks and says they are a big improvement over standard springs