Help! Beta Rev4T Kickstart Kit Needed Urgently.

danhar707

I'm in for the Reeth 3day trial starting next Fri (19th) and this Sun the kickstart snapped on my bike (2008 Rev4T). I called Lampkins on Monday and they sent a new lever+joint part, arrived Tues, offered it up last night and doesn't fit!

Called Lampkins today and they conclude I must have an 'early 08' which has a bad/obsolete design of kickstart (lots of forum posts relating to the probs with this older design.) The newer lever they sent is not compatible with the older shaft on my bike and I'm told the only way forward is to buy a kit (lever + shaft) which upgrades my bike to the later spec.

Problem is they don't have a kit in stock (nor the shaft on its own.) Need to be ordered from Italy and they say would not get to me until Fri next week, which is going to be too late! Or I can pay a fortune for a one-off shipment - est. £50, which would bring the bill to an eye-watering £200; just too much to take right now!

Does anyone have any better ideas? I've tried BVM.

Incase you're wondering...the broken bits are quite beyond repair. See attached pic - i.e. snapped at base of 'stub'

Trying again with the pics.

Note the close up of the base.... see how previous owner of bike grafted in a collet to make the kickstart lever sit a little further outboard and thus get round the problem of the old/bad design fouling the frame.

I would do the same again myself, but the old parts are no longer available!!!

post-17029-0-41705000-1373482480_thumb.jpg

post-17029-0-20431300-1373482366_thumb.jpg

pay the 200 quid your going to have to pay 150 at some point so splash the cash.. dont get the old design upgrade with the part to the later design or you lll just have to do it again..

or you could use someone elses part from thier bike..

Very interesting timing with your post! My 2008 rev 4t kickstart did the same thing on Saturday at cowm! Exactly the same!!

But... We managed to get a gas gas kickstart to fit on with the same spline which worked fine, but was only a borrow for the day. I then put my mates 2012 Evo 4t kickstart on it which is the same spline size and from lampkins on Monday ordered one, for the '12 Evo, as its much bulked up and stronger. It's also marginally shorter but obviously works perfectly. This was around 55 quid give or take a few (bought some other bits too you see)

I must have the bigger shaft though if yours won't accept the newer Evo model kickstarts. Try to try a few of other brands though as you may be able to just get a Montesa one for instance for much cheaper than the 200 quoted. When we were looking at the weekend to find one for the day, many of the smaller cc bikes had smaller shafts than mine so could well work for yours.

Hope this helps! Bongo

If you can find someone with a lathe and tig welder they can turn up a new pivot from a large bolt and weld it on.

I have done this repair for people several times, mostly it works and lasts but occasionally does not.

Got a guy from work to do me a repair job last night. He brought it in today for me. He's done some drilling and threading to get a high tensile bolt to join the broken bit back on. Got it on tonight and got a few starts out of it before it started to come apart :-(

Thinks I got a fall back plan though. Haven Trials (Hull) have got one of the kits in stock but minus a kickstart and minus a rather essential washer for the bolt that goes into the splined shaft.. Anyone able to take their 4T's kickstart and measure up that washer for me? You will see it bears onto a very small machined ring/area of the kickstart, so I think critical to get the right size.

• 8 months later...

Just to close this out...I got the Beta upgrade/update kit from Haven and used the 08> kickstart Lampkins sent me. Made it thru the Reeth 3day and still good several months on!

Have to say it was a bit nerve wracking opening the gearbox to replace the kickstart shaft the night before the Reeth 3day started but I got it done ok. It was good to see inside and see how well engineered this engine is (apart from the cock-up with the early kickstart obviously!)