4Th and 5Th Gears Slipping At Higher Rpm

pear

Hey all : just out on my 2011 Beta 290 2T today and notised that while in 4th or 5th and while up in the higher RMP range it felt like the gears were slipping when the RPM's were climbing.

It felt like was almost depressing the clutch part way in !

I have had a lot of bikes and have never experienced this, it is not noticible in lower gear range.

Any ideas would be welcomed Thanks

That will be your clutch slipping mate. Usually it'll happen in the torquier part of the revs and often within the first second of changing up a gear. Your steels will be fine but get yourself a new set of friction plates for your clutch and job should e a good'n :)

• Like 1

Well yeah I agree that you would expe t it to happen in lower gears and torquier areas of the bikes rev range, but it often is the case that the overall speed of the spinning basket and plates at higher revs combined with the inertia of the wheel against the crank in the clutch tends to make it happen in longer gears. The description of it feeling like you're pulling the clutch in is the perfect and exact description of clutch wear though :)

Pear. Bongo is correct in what he is saying, however I would change the gear box/clutch oil before I did anything!

After sitting for four months or so (winter in Nova Scotia) the oil could be suspect.

Too right yeah, I didn't know not had been sat for a long period! Billy have you heard of slipping clutches when using fully synth? I'm new to trials but rroad race for years and its common knowledge that slipping clutches are often down to fully synth oil. I've always used semi however I'm on fully onte trials bike as it seems to be common practice in trials.

Bongo.

I am only assuming it sat for a long period of time as he seems to be in Nova Scotia and they have a period of time when they cant ride due to harsh winters.

Check out my article in the Beta forum called "A Clutch Story". I may answer your question regarding oils in clutches.

Cheers

BillyT

Hey gents I spoke to the dealer that i bought the bike from and he gave me several options to try one being that the clutch was adjusted to tight, so i went out and checked it and it didnt have much play so i let some of the tension off and took it for a quick drive and it appeared to have went away, so im going to take it for a longer ride tomorrow and will update on my findings.

i find this weird as i hadent moved the adjustment since i first adjusted it when i bought the bike.