Any Info On 1975 151 Model

davdeborg

Depends on what you want to know really. It was the last of the slimline models with the one piece fibreglass tank/seat unit - the alloy tank unit was a UK part due to fibreglass tanks being outlawed here the year before.

It was the last of the 325 motors based upon the 250 crankcases. The next model - 159 - had new crankcases specifically for the 325 with a thicker liner and different stud spacing. Those engines can be taken out to 350cc. The early 325 up to the M151 can't.

Essentially just an update of the original 325, the M92 and the M125 that followed that. The 125 and 151 series were the only model range to have that rear hub as well.

Looks to be in nice original condition.

cheers guys sorry to seem a bit daft on this bike but its new to me always had a ty175 before.

now for some more daft questions

you say last of the slim line models whats slim line model ?

and the tank that's fitted is this not the standard tank?

am I better off sourcing the original tank side panels ?

cheers

This is how it came from the factory with what is referred to as the 'slimline' tank/seat unit

http://www.ataq.qc.ca/galerie/showimg.php?file=/Mus%E9e/Bultaco/bultaco1975_sherpa250-350.jpg

The tank/seat on your bike is what was fitted by the UK importers as the factory fibreglass unit was no longer legal to use on the road in the UK at that time, so although not how it left the factory, it is still a proper tank for the bike. For some reason the importers had them painted blue/silver instead of the usual Bultaco red/silver. The bike on the front of the Haynes model is the same as yours

You can get a new tank seat unit from Shedworks if you want to go back to how it left the factory, but yours is correct for a UK bike of that period. They're made with ethanol proof resin and I have one on my M92 - can't put a picture up at the moment as my supporter subscription has run out and I didn't realise

http://www.shedworks.net/index.html

The 125 and 151 series were the only model range to have that rear hub as well.

Woody I have a Model 124 with the same rear hub so did that part not appear on those models first? I understand that at that time the production runs were fairly short with the model numbers changing each time a few modifications appeared.

The alloy tank seat is good really as it is ok with modern (poor) fuels, the one on my 124 though was sawn through by a previous owner so as to allow the seat unit or tank to be removed seperately. Was that a common thing which I suppose stopped the two cracking apart?

Edited by trialsrfun

Yes, the 250 models had the hub too which is what I was trying to say by adding series after the 350 model numbers

I'd guess the fact they cracked in two saved people from hack sawing them into two...

I'm pretty sure if you get it welded neatly by a competent welder, mount the tank on foam pipe insulator and put some sort of cushioning on the frame tubes under the seat pan to reduce vibration through the frame, it won't crack again.

Yes, the 250 models had the hub too which is what I was trying to say by adding series after the 350 model numbers

I'd guess the fact they cracked in two saved people from hack sawing them into two...

I'm pretty sure if you get it welded neatly by a competent welder, mount the tank on foam pipe insulator and put some sort of cushioning on the frame tubes under the seat pan to reduce vibration through the frame, it won't crack again.

Had me worried for a moment Woody, I thought you meant the hubs cracked in two...phew...so back to the tank. Yes I have considered having it welded together but as two pieces, servicing the air filter is a doddle & once drained the tank is simple to remove, it would be nice to have it as it original but we will see.