Mokwepa - My Progress :)

Hi guys

I thought I would start my own thread, hopefully where I can get some advice on "my" techniques. Im not very good....yet....but im working hard at it. Ive been riding for just over 2 months and try to ride for a hour everyday in my little obstacle course.

What has improved dramatically is my ballance and throttle/clutch control. I still battle to use my rear brake and dont use it as much as I should....im guessing? ? Im slowly starting to hop the back wheel higher when doing that zap thing.

Ive only started noticing now how much practice helps. Ive been frustrated up to now but today everything kinda clicked and I felt I rode good. I have a route marked out that I havent been able to clear but I cleared it for the first time yesterday. Today I cleared it about 60% of the time, so I made my route a bit harder.

The first bit of advice I would like to ask, how important is the rear brake at a clubman/beginner level? In the past I hardly used it untill I got caught out at a trials training venue with lots of steap decents. My practice area is flat and I can get by with only the front brake so im consciously trying to use my rear brake more, even on flat ground. Is this a good idea or will I be learning bad habits?

Ps: the pic is me trying a new obstacle that ive been a bit scared of and hey, what a piece of cake. It was not nearly as hard as I thought. Well chuffed with myself.

post-18493-0-11409700-1373737916_thumb.jpg

Ummm, I think your wife wants her Yoga pants back but good on ya for getting an hour a day in practicing

I'm part way into Bernie Schreibers book and he talks a lot about keeping legs near straight and balance over the bike

You have to read what he is talking about as its a great description

• Like 1

Haha on the man tights :) rather bugger these up than my super sexy BETA ones :)

My timing is improving lots on this japzap thing. Its now not a question if ill get up a obstacle but its now how smoothly I can get up.

post-18493-0-02667900-1374317483_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Good Work, Mokwepa!!!

Your postition on the bike looks great; the knees are bent, back straight, weight where it should be & stuff like that.....

Have you found any one else you can ride with? Sometimes there's a "competitive" aspect of riding with a buddy that helps each of you to learn & improve. Or maybe you can get lucky, as I have, and found a buddy that rides at a really advanced level, but is great at explaning & showing what he's doing, and how he's doing it. This can really help a lot!

Keep it up, Buddy! But I think I have to agree with 0007 on them Yoga Pants! :hyper::moon: (Actually, I'm jealous. Wish I was skinny enough to rock a pair of those. Right now, it'd be really ugly if I tried to..... I've never been more thankful for the "Baggy Look" style than I could be right now, even if I look like a large tent riding a trials bike..... )

Jimmie

Edited by mr neutron

Bwahahaha.

I wish I had someone to ride with but no one is interested here. I am extremely competitive and all I want at the moment is to kick my dads @ss in our first trial. Im practicing a lot more and im 31 years younger than him but he still rides dam good. I cant catch him on the gp track bikes so im determined to beat him at this.

I must say that my mantights are very comfortable and cool to ride in. I am quite a arrogant, obnoxious guy so dont really care what others think, even if I do look like a dork :)

• Like 1

I was skrewing around with a kicker rock today and man o man does it make things easier. Reccon I could get up a decent step now and not these small drums. Now if all steps had kickers that would be awesome. Guess they dont so better practice without one a bit longer ;)

post-18493-0-81303300-1374429546_thumb.jpg

post-18493-0-23120000-1374429571_thumb.jpg

Oohhh that's a gooder

How does a guy fill the center so you don't drop the wheel in?

1inch plywood?

There's all kinds of ways, I'd imagine, but that's how I've seen it done/ridden on. The tire I've ridden on used plywood cut about an inch or two bigger in diameter than the inside of the tire. He then just used sheetrock or deck screws to go through the wood, and right into the tire......

You're gonna have fun with that one, Mokwepa!!! How high is it? I'd imagine those are fairly heavy,huh?

Jimmie

Edited by mr neutron