Mokwepa - My Progress :)

Hi guys

Results are in, have a look here to see how I did (Dylan Marriner):

http://nrtc.trials.co.za/cms/index.php?command=View&item_id=126

I placed 8th out of 18 riders in my class. Im VERY happy with how I did and the fact that I even finished.

The other riders were surprised that I even entered (due to not being on trials for too long) and warned us that this trial was set to national level. We were told to be very careful as it and the nationals are the toughest events of the year (the only two events where a pize is given just for completing the trials).

The course was set over a 4-5km area and its true what they warned us about.....between sections was far harder than the sections itself. The whole lap was one loooong tough section. Time was extended from 5.5hrs to 6hrs as the trials was set so difficult. I finished with 15min to spare. 5hrs 45min on the pegs, im absolutely buggered today.

Ps: these pics and vids to come are from section 9 & 10, the only sections my wife could get to and without being funny, they were the 2 easiest sections (im a fisherman and this is not one of them BS lines :D).

post-18493-0-00433700-1378710358_thumb.jpg

post-18493-0-61034700-1378710396_thumb.jpg

post-18493-0-09167800-1378710445_thumb.jpg

post-18493-0-53043000-1378710493_thumb.jpg

post-18493-0-47298200-1378710527_thumb.jpg

post-18493-0-55976600-1378710557_thumb.jpg

post-18493-0-92918200-1378710596_thumb.jpg

Edited by mokwepa
  • Like 1

Congrats Dylan :D... 6 hours on the pegs jumping around aint for the weak for sure!!! Nice to see you growing at the sport... Hope you keep posting in TC when fame, fortune and sponsorship from main brands strike on your carrer :D jajajaja Keep us posted!!!

• Like 1

Yeah, Congratulations, Dylan!!! :thumbup:

Glad to read that you did well!!! Kinda like you, I have a goal to make it up to the Intemediate class for next year, at least at my local club's Intermediate level. It looks like you're well on your way to making that!

What did this trial show you that you ned to work on? Were there things you feel you need more practice on, and maybe things that you felt really good at doing?

Again, Congtats, Dylan! Nice Job!!!

Jimmie

What I do need to do is practice on different types of terrain. This trial had everything in it from rivers to rocky staircases to very slippery slate, wet rocks, deap mud the works!

I need to try different terrains in different gears. Being in the wrong gear did cost me some dabs and I was continously questioning my choice of gear.

Here is a vid of section 9, this had a deap mud pool just before a slippery climb out that you cant see in the vid:

Here is a vid of section 10:

Edited by mokwepa

Need some assistance if possible.

Im still battling to get hight with my zaps. Heres a short vid trying to zap my big tire with no kicker.

What I think I see is too much bounce to bring the front up and not enough bounce to get up the tire (second bounce). Also, I think I might be putting the front up too high on the tire and not getting enough load on the suspension?

Should I be bouncing the front up initially or should I be popping a weelie and using more power than bounce to bring the front up?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Dylan, I am by no means an Expert here, so you can take what I say with a grain of sand. I'm still struggling to accomplish the same things as you. But I've been told that by much better riders that I'm doing the same thing wrong when I attempt these things. I htink you've sorta figured it out, from the sound of your last post......

To me, (remember, I'm not the Expert here), it looks as if your front tire does indeed kinda skim off of the corner of the obstacle (the big tire), and doesn't give your suspension much chance to load up/compress. Hitting the tire with your front wheel a few inches lower would help you get that extra lift by loading your suspensension, especially the rear end. It would likely help your rear tire hit a bit higher up, and in an "upwards direction", instead of slamming into the side of the obstacle..... This is my inexperienced voice saying this, Dylan, so don't take it as "The Gospel" here. Like I said, I'm struggling with the same thing, and can't get my timing & technique down yet, so I'm no authority on the matter. But to me, your timing & everything else looks good. Hopefully, someone who knows how to ride better than I will be along and can help......

I think the big tires like you're going up are tough. They tend to absorb energy from when the front wheel hits them, and this keeps your suspension from loading up for the lift you need from the rear end.

Hope this is of some small amount of help,

Jimmie

Thanks Mr N, that at least points me in the right direction. Whats your thoughts on the weelie to lift the front or bouncing the front up?

I have a 15 year old bike injury to my shoulder that is starting to act up due to all the training I think. It is extremely painful tonight and i just hope it doesnt cause me to put my training on hold. I also dont want it to get any worse. Might have to take it easy for a few days :wall: .

• Like 1