Mokwepa - My Progress :)

hi guys, your timing is off a bit. bring up the front and it needs to hit it hard, clutch in compress, then bang let loose with throttle and clutch. you can do it even if the front wheel is on top of the tire / rock (softer but plenty of compression). but you need compression and a slight hesitation. not sure if i'm writing exactly what i mean but hope it helps. not sure other than to show you and i'm not going to be in SA anytime soon, lol it should be fluid but still have a slight hesitation as you go from compressing the suspension to launching up. oh and as you compress while clutch in you need to bend knees more into the bike and when you launch you need to go up more, in the video you look like your going more forward and not up enough.

rob

• Like 1

My Opinion,

Wheelie front tire into the obstacle, (Do the next bit simultaniously) when front tire hits obstacle pull in the clutch, bend your legs and push on the pegs to compress both ends of suspension, give more throttle. Then pop the clutch and with your legs jump up onto the top of the obstacle.

Try to overexaggerate the movement. it will help you feel what you should be doing. There is a lot dependant on using your legs to make the bike do what you want.

Again just my opinion, there may be better techniques.

• Like 1

Okay.....

On further review, I went back & watched the video, numerous times. I'm fairly certain the problem is:

The shorts he's wearing don't match the bike at all. Defintely a fashion faux paux, or whatever that word is for " fashion mistake"..... :chairfall:

Actually, I stopped the vid at the 3 second mark, and saw that you do have good compression of the rear suspension, D-man. But the front forks hardly compressed at all, as well as I am able to tell. I'd think it would help some to hit the tire/obstacle a little bit lower, bend you knees into it more, and then an aggressive unweight.......

Like Zippy & Rob have said, the timing, the clutch deal, and probably as important as almost any of it, the "leap/unweighting" done correctly and at the right time. I fully know that's my problem on these types of deals, along with hitting the obstacle too high most times. But knowing that, and making myself correct it have been the tough part. Hope you have better luck than I, Mokewepa!!!

I hope this helps, but please listen to these other guys, Dylan. I'm not that great at it myself. And I really want a big tire to practice on, like you have there. Or maybe the Bouncy House, hee hee....

FWIW, here's a link to a video done by a fellow that frequents the Thumpertalk Trials Forum (username "2Ply"). I thought he did a great job of expaining the lift "principle" while filming the rider's 6 progressively better leaps over a log up here in the wet NW part of the country.....

To me, it seems like the rider wheelies into the log, maybe even dropping the wheel slightly down onto the log?

Jimmie

• Like 1

if you think about it the new current trick of hopping on the back wheel is basically just a zap without hitting the front wheel on something. you need lots of compression and lots of up movement timing with clutch unweighting throttle.

watching the 2nd video, i think most of it is right except for i always thought a zap was to help get the front wheel up and to help carry it up over and past the obstacle so not to let the front wheel down to early? in the vid you could easily have just did a roll up. for me i would use more throttle and clutch than shown in the vid.

any thoughts?

Edited by rob214
  • Like 1

Had a quick ride now to see what happens and I think im in the right direction. The back wheel is hopping and seemsto be riding up the tire better rather than slaming into it. I still think my front might be a little high tthough?

Im purposely not hopping off as I feel sorry for my suspension and dont want to strain it unnecessarily. I did put a marker on the tire so I could try vary the hight of the front to see what happens.

Hard to tell what's happening there, your front tire is on top when you unload the rear

The rear does hop but not sure if its due to the skid plate contacting the tire or not

Maybe the problem is that the obstacle is achievable even if its hit wrong, I say make it taller

Thats a very valid point that i havent noticed......unweighting while my front is still on the verticle section of the obstacle. That will be the next thing i try maybe tomorrow if i get a chance.

I did watch the above vid in slomo on my phone and the bash plate does clear but only just.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys. Been super busy at work, owners and all their friends have booked the lodge out. No progress on the bike yet but managed to bugger my elbow up now trying to get a impala skull out of a tree.

Good news is that I might be on a 13 Evo300 soon. Should know in the next few weeks.

Ps did a bit of a free ride yesterday and had a ball. Realized that handlebars are wider than a door frame. Tried to ride into our reservation office and came to a sudden stop :D

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

post-18493-0-14267000-1381690908_thumb.jpgpost-18493-0-14972200-1381690924_thumb.jpgpost-18493-0-22047600-1381690940_thumb.jpgpost-18493-0-90340200-1381690955_thumb.jpgpost-18493-0-50285100-1381690970_thumb.jpgpost-18493-0-74246300-1381690986_thumb.jpgpost-18493-0-26801500-1381691003_thumb.jpg

Hi guys

Ive just finished my 3rd trial at a place called Olifants. Had a awesome time and learnt a bunch. I came 6th in clubmans which is my best so far. Im slowly creeping up the ladder. Was hoping for top 5 but missed it by one point. I took my first little tumble that cost me a 5er otherwise I would have made it. More reason to try harder I guess.

I rode my dads 13 EVO300 today after a quick 2 hours yesterday to get used to it. Man, what a machine!!! Its a handful compared to my REV3. I love the immediate response but didn't have time to play with the suspension. Currently my REV is set up a bit better, I think but I feel I rode better on the EVO. I felt a bit more confident but scared at the same time. Awesome bike though.

Heres a few pics from today.

Cheers guys

• Like 1

Done a few things since my elbow is buggered.

Put a grab strap on the back of the evo. The 13 evo has no where decent to grab if youre in a bad position and need to move the back wheel if you are stuck in the rocks.

Installed my super cheap fork guards.

Re arranged my training spot to practice tight turns with obstacles. Plan is ti ride as tight as possible to the drum, both ways.

post-18493-0-49346600-1382048545_thumb.jpg

post-18493-0-57066700-1382048578_thumb.jpg

post-18493-0-29428500-1382048612_thumb.jpg