Mokwepa - My Progress :)

Yaaay. Got up my big tyre. Been poo@ping myself the whole day about attempting it and it was far easier than I thought. I am using a kicker for now untill I get the hang of it, its quite different to the drums ive been riding over. VERY happy with myself.

The SA beta importer (70 years young and still beats the youngsters) gave me some good advice im trying to stick to...."dont think about it too much, just do it, the worst that can happen is you fall over". Not sure about the last part but ill pretend thats it.

Pat on the back :D

post-18493-0-91700400-1374766786_thumb.jpg

Yip, its pretty heavy. It comes up to just below my waist. We got it off my pickup but now I dont have the man power to move it.

Mokwepa....... Which one of these fine gentlemen moving the tyre is your self............... :moon:

Edited by billyt

move that blue barrel in front of the big tire, put those logs on an incline about 1 bike length apart then practice up and down, also on the logs do figure 8 turning up and down the logs. don't use kickers until the step is really big it just hides lack of technique. do turns with an obstacle at the entrance , midway and exit. one of those small rocks are enough to make any turn more difficult. do everything right as well as left. don't really need to worry about a complete section as much as learning the proper way and various techniques over each obstacle.

looking good so far keep up the motivation.

rob

Mokewepa

I dont get it! You are in a country with very little BIG Brother influence with respect to land usage and tons of beautiful natural terrain.

Why not go find natural obstacles, you can ride all you want in the man made sections while it may be good for keeping in shape it is no match for what mother nature can throw at you. :icon_salut:

Edited by billyt
  • Like 1

Thanks for the tips.

@billyt: I know what you mean but my trainng spot is in a fenced off staff village. Outside the fence are things thatcan eat me, I live smack bang in the middle of a game reserve. I see lion, leopard, hyena, elephant etc on a daily basis around our sstaff village. I wish I could take the chance but its far to dangerous.

• Like 2

Thanks for the tips.

@billyt: I know what you mean but my training spot is in a fenced off staff village. Outside the fence are things that can eat me, I live smack bang in the middle of a game reserve. I see lion, leopard, hyena, elephant etc on a daily basis around our staff village. I wish I could take the chance but its far to dangerous.

Those are just known as "motivation" not to crash.............also helps with EnduroX training.

• Like 2

I like the idea of a turn in the rocks, Mokwepa!!! :thumbup: Make that turn as tight as you can, or if it's the right size, try practicing tight circle turns in the rock section. And try to make yourself get used to working in a "compressed area". In other words, don't allow yourself very much room for an approach to an obstacle, and try to have a good tight turn just prior to your obstacle (left and right handers). Maybe even set something up where you have to do a floater over it.

Much of my practice area on my property is basically "natural stuff". I have a stump, a log I cut and decided not to use for firewood, and a small mound of dirt about 3/4 of a meter high, and 3 meters long. I can't really control where the stump was put, nor the log, and neither the dirt mound. so I have other junk in between them, like wood that I try to ride as a balance beam, construction safety cones to make tight turns around, and a couple of homemade wooden deals to hop over. Since I ride a trials comp. about once a month, I try to make my practice similar to what I know the organizers will throw at us Novice level riders. We get a few small logs to go over, typically, lots of rocks, quite few creek beds to snake through, and lots of tight turns. In some respects, at some of our trials, the Intermediate guys above us Novices have easier lines. Bigger obstacles, but fewer tight turns. However, they don't get much room for the approaches for these obstacles.

I guess what I'm saying in my "trying to help" kinda way, is if you plan on competing some day, try to make your practice close to what the organizers are gonna throw at ya.

I do definitely envy your practice area. You've got some neat stuff there. and at least the stuff you've put in there doesn't work very hard at trying to eat you! How many guys did it take to move that tire? I'm not certain I have that many friends with healthey enough backs & such to move something like that. My friends & I are an aging lot......

Jimmie

• Like 1

Hi jimmie. Thanks for the words of advice. I will be competing in my very first trial on the 11 aug with my pops. Cant wait. After that ill have a better idea what to expect and redisign my course from there.

Im hopefully going to be buying this oset for my son today. My boy is 2y2m old but im sure hell handle it. He can ride his 50cc quad but im a quad hater so we gotta lose 2 wheels. He loves bike. Only problem is the bike is almost 1000km away so ive gotta seeif I can afford the courier costs. Wish me luck ;)

post-18493-0-67996800-1375071168_thumb.jpg

Mokwepa

Me thinks that a faster bike is more what you are looking for. Less chance of getting eaten when you have left your playpen. :popcorn:

Are you a safari guide, where you born in the commune, are they fatting you up?

Do you have any body else to ride with. You will eventually get board with just riding on drums, logs and tyres.

Do you plan in venturing out and going to an event where the riders are not on the menu?

You wont improve if you do not mix it up with other trials guys. Maybe you could invent some new techniques, like say "Jumping the Lion, Zapping the Zebra, Bunny hopping the Rino....................... :icon_salut:

Hi copemech.

I had a short ride now but quit before I hurt myself or my bike. I rode like such a dork and made tons of dumb mistakes I usually don't make. I just wasn't feeling it today.

The diagram doesn't do my course justice. Most of my obstacles dont have a run up or at least a very short one. My bigger obstacles have a bit more of a run up until I can handle them better.

Oh well. Bad days riding but ill try again tomorrow.

PS: I did get up my tire without a kicker, but not on the first few attempts. Getting the hang of it now.