Contemplating Change From Ossa To Beta

scorpatic

I am thinking of changing my trials bike from the Ossa 280i to the Beta Evo 250.

My principle reason for change is the inability to tune or service the bike myself, as I do not have the codes and PC maps nor the ability to use them should they be obtainable and available for Mac.

I get good service from my dealer but he's along way away and is often unavailable as it is not his principle source of income. He does do his absolute best for me but I often find myself waiting long periods.

I am happy with the bike generally, but on a few occasions I have had doubts a long way from home.

Ive ridden the 125 and the 200 and the 07 250 and liked them very much indeed. the balance and steering geometry is exceptional.

I have heard the 2014 will also be FI, and I don't want that as it wont change my major problem, inability to service it with a screwdriver and an ear.

Thoughts?

Hi Scorpatic ,

I think youve answered it yourself. Traditional trials technology works perfectly and the bonus is you can work and service it yourself with basic tools in your own home garage and with NO cost.

Its a no brainer for me , i wouldnt buy FI on a two stroke . Ive had experience with no less than 4 fuel injected 2 stroke bikes going wrong , on 2 different brands of bike. Aprilia and Gilera scooters. They were spluttering or just wouldnt start.Often they give you no warning , just start failing badly. After checking the basics on the bike , EVERY time it came down to me having to replace FI parts. Ive mostly had to replace the generic Bosch injectors at £115 each. They milk or clog up , its common. Washing them in petrol or solvent and blowing air at them doesnt clean them enough and get them working again. Thats why they recommend 110 to 1 . I dont believe for one second that thats enough 2 stroke oil for an engine to last a good time. Do the companies want to keep their injectors clean for the warranty period ?.Thats my suspicion. Ive also had to rectify compressor pressure problems on an FI bike.

These are all moving components and they wear.Imagine what a hostile enviroment that injector is working in.

Sure in the first year or two you will probably be fine , but after that your on borrow time.

you've heard the 2014 beta will be efi???

I hope not. Carburators work fine. Why mess up a great bike with an overly complicated fuel system? Beta have you seen these? They work better than the carbs you currently use. Better torque and horse power, better fuel consumption and better emissions plus check valve internal vents so no fuel spilling. They also automatically compensate for altitude. Set it and forget it.

https://secure.power...-difference.php

Edited by liviob