Montesa 348 Kick Start Weakness

taylo63

Hi All

Looking at buying a twinshock and like the look of the Montesa 348. i've been reading about them and other Cota's such as the 247, and there are few comments on a weakness of the kickstart drive that can in some instances break with the obvious issue of repair, even if a part can be sourced....Is the 348 prone to the same issue?

Regards

The only kickstart issue I had with my 348 was the fact the the return stop cam punched a hole in the engine case as the previous owner had not got it welded up properly. If the kickstart over rotates the cam hits the engine case and punches a hole right in front of the flywheel. unfortunately this means that the chain throws a load of muck into the electrics. I had 3 DNF's on the trot before I noticed. The bike would start fine as the electrics were dry but by the 10 -15th section I would start getting a misfire until it died completely. Make sure you check this out.... I have just sold mine and had it welded up before hand. It only cost me £50 to get it welded but because of the position of the hole I had to split the cases to get it welded which was a real nightmare.

Taylo63,

I also put a Mikuni VM on it and Electrex electronic ignition (this was before I knew about the hole!!! as I kept blowing condensors). Really pleased with both the mods althought they probably didnt need it in hindsight. Found the bike great in muddy stuff (found grip like mad) and really planted in rocky streams. Also had a Beamish which seemed to be better on the tight stuff. Only sold both of them as I came across a Bultaco Sherpa 175 which due to my small size seemed to suit me better. My advice would be get to a twin shock club and ride a few bikes. I always fancied an Ossa Gripper but having ridden one I hated it. I find the Fantic 240s too peaky and TY's just dont do it for me (unless its the Whitehawk model).

Parts are getting scarce for monts and you don't see as many people breaking Monts like you do TY's, Fantics etc but their does seem to be a great support network particularly around the twinshock scene of people who know someone who might have some spares or who can machine some up. I needed the clutch arm push rod which was only a small cylindar about 7mm diameter and something like 9mm long. I could not find one for love or money and they wear in the centre where the clutch arm rests against it so the clutch arm shortens and the clutch is hard to adjust. I had some made up in 1mm increments to play around with. On the flip side I had never really worked on a 2 stroke engine in detail but having to split the cases it was really easy to learn the basics and s a lovely motor to self maintain.

Had a ride a 348 last week, never really had a shot on one before. I was really impressed with the power, suspension and particularly the way it steered. Footrests are high compared with more modern machines.

Check it doesn't jump out of gear.

but i had fun on it

Glad to hear. The guys who bought the beamish also ended up buying my chair and are putting an outfit together. Looks like the club will have a beginners sidecar class soon. Not doing this months but will be at the 2 day in Sept. Hope to see you at an event soon

I have had a 348 and a couple of 247's for yeras and have never had a problem with the kick starters. One model which was prone to problems was the 173. Kick starter shafts used to snap, I know because I did it to one I once owned. Those shafts were impossible to find and as rare as rocking horse poo.