Boyesen Reeds

jfc

My son wants to fit Boyesen reeds to his 2013 Evo 125!

Do you think he will notice any difference in the bike? And if so is it a trade off, do you loss anything in the power range as well as gain?

I fitted Boyesen dual stage reeds (before they produced the trials specific ones) to a 09 Evo 125 and found they improved the low end torque/power and responsiveness at the low end without affecting top end. I followed a process of re-jetting the carb as well and was quite happy with the result. When I went to sell the bike, I put it all back to original specs and that was when I really noticed the difference - it had lost the low end responsiveness so immediately, replaced the Boyesen reeds and jets and clip position to my specs as I felt it was a much better bike with them in. I have subsequently put Boyesen dual stage in my 2012 Evo 200 and also happy - and had to re-jet the carb to compensate. But it is always hard to be completely objective as no dyno readings etc. - the most noticeable difference was taking them out of the 125 and setting back to original specs - the bike felt different. After all, I have to be able to justify the expense and time and fiddling to the "cheque book holder" - so perhaps I have to believe the bike is better!

• Like 1

Will the bike definately need to be re-jetted when new reeds are fitted, if so for uk riding what jets will we need for a 2013 evo 125

fitted a few sets of Boysens to various bikes never re jetted in the uk. whilst they really helped the sherco on my Beta they weren't as dramatic.

The v force reeds work very well. They made the bike feel like it was 25cc bigger engine on the bottom. They made a very noticeable improvement to button torque and quicker RPM spool up of my 02 rev3 250. Midrange was slightly improved with no change to topend. The only drawback to them is that you must modify the intake manifold to accept the v force reed. The protrusions which fill airspace in the intake track must be removed.

Edited by liviob

We have a number of Betas and Shercos out with the new carbon reeds fitted, with everybody reporting improvement at the bottom end - some models may need a one notch leaner position on the needle.

Dave, I have been looking for reports on the carbons vs the duals stage. " Improvement is a subjective term, however wit some preferring things a bit more smooth and docile, and others a bit more rippy!

Any other experience to add to your observations?

I have used the Boyeson Dual stage reeds in my 09 290 EVO . If your looking for a softer, smoother, much more flexible stall resistant bottom then use the #112 reed. I have not used the #116 reed yet "which is the reed that all of the shops sell", but hear it delivers a more robust response than the stock reeds and the #112 reeds.