2007 Sy250 Paioli Forks

davids9317

I've just bought a 2007 SY 250 and it seems to handle weird, when i ride my mates 2005 Gas Gas i can balance and hop around on the spot but when i try on mine the forks seem to absorb all my effort and its difficult to get the front wheel off the ground. The forks don't seem to have any damping; they rebound real quick with no oil sound. i tried adjusting the rebound knob on the right leg but it just turns and turns (infinite number of clicks), i dropped the oil and plan replacing with fresh. Any ideas what this could be? there seemed to be plenty of oil although i didn't measure it.

Also the engine makes a bit of a harmonic whining type noise....

Other than this i like the bike all seems good and thanks for any help!

Even if everything worked perfectly on your bike, you are comparing it to the lightest and most powerful bike. The Yamaha is an old slug in comparison, even when new in `92 it was considered slow. Yes, you need to make it work as good as it can be. Remember the front and rear need to work together.

There is little noticeable difference in weight, checking the website http://motorcycle-specs.com confirms this, they quote my mates 2005 Gas Gas 200 TXT Pro as 69kg and my 2007 Scorpa SY250 as 69.9kg, the 0.9kg difference would not stop me being able to hop on the spot, since the front end seems to rebound instantly with no damping I'm sure that will have something to do with it, the question is how to fix it.....

Thanks for the hint about front and rear working together i'll look into suspension set up / balance too

Go tot the site off the hellteam in australia, there you can find a download how to set up the paioli fork.

It should be quite easy to pickup the front however.

My Scorpa is a 2006 model and it responds quite well and turns like crazy in the non-stops, it also has a paioli fork.

It looks to me like there is something wrong wit your damper unit.

What works for me is, preload off the spring 4.5 to 5 turns in, damper setting 9 clicks open.

According to Scorpa Italia, found on the site off the hell team, that is the basic setting.

Your rear spring should be quite soft so you can push the suspension realy easy in compression.

Maybey it will also help to set your ignition in racing setting.

How you can do this you can also find on the site off the hell team.

What they write about the comparison to the GasGas is wright.

You should look at your Scorpa more like a 2-stroke Montesa or a modern twinshocker.

Our bike is much smoother than a modern GasGas or Sherco.

A female club member calls mine a sweet and lovely bike.

Thats the reason i fell in love with it the minute i rode it for the first time!

It's just like a lighter version off my Fantic 305, also it is a lot easyer to ride than my Fantic.

Edited by janwillem

Go tot the site off the hellteam in australia, there you can find a download how to set up the paioli fork.

It should be quite easy to pickup the front however.

My Scorpa is a 2006 model and it responds quite well and turns like crazy in the non-stops, it also has a paioli fork.

It looks to me like there is something wrong wit your damper unit.

What works for me is, preload off the spring 4.5 to 5 turns in, damper setting 9 clicks open.

According to Scorpa Italia, found on the site off the hell team, that is the basic setting.

Your rear spring should be quite soft so you can push the suspension realy easy in compression.

Maybey it will also help to set your ignition in racing setting.

How you can do this you can also find on the site off the hell team.

What they write about the comparison to the GasGas is wright.

You should look at your Scorpa more like a 2-stroke Montesa or a modern twinshocker.

Our bike is much smoother than a modern GasGas or Sherco.

A female club member calls mine a sweet and lovely bike.

Thats the reason i fell in love with it the minute i rode it for the first time!

It's just like a lighter version off my Fantic 305, also it is a lot easyer to ride than my Fantic.

Thanks, for this. Very useful info; just what i was looking for, The technical download from the Hellteam mentions turning the damping adjuster clockwise until it stops but mine just keeps going. Does yours stop after 31 or so clicks like the document suggests?

I think your right about the rear spring too, yesterday i was messing around and thought there might also be too much weight over the front so i checked my rear shock and the spring is fully adjusted / compressed. Still a fair bit of race sag tho, i'm going to adjust all this properly when i have the right spanners.

Also the ignition timing tip is good, the bike does feel a bit docile so i'll look at that for definite!

Much appreciated!

Sorry for the late reply.

yes my adjuster stops after a number off clicks, sorry haven't counted them.

What works for me at the rear is, turn it up so far that it almost bottoms out when i compress it for a step.

Take an hour or two to try different settings.

Some people like to set the rear shock harder then others.

A normal C- spanner from a motorbike whil fit, i juse the spanner from a Jawa toolkit.

Good luck and enjoy the time with your Scorpa.