Buying Used Bikes

southwester

I have a few questions if anyone can help?

Seen a bike for sale and 1 off the things I noticed was the barrel was brown, cylinder head and casings were un tinged but haven't seen it on any other used bikes that I can remember.

Is this to do with the material the barrels made of and its just where the mud has stained it or is it something worse.

Also it was a beta rev 3 and the clutch drags when cold but clears when it has warmed up apparently, I see from the beta thread this is a common fault and there is a mod to over come it but was worried there may be more to it so I thought I would steer clear to be on the safe side until I find out more.

I see from reading other threads the other things it could be are the plates could be warped or basket could be notched and need replacing?

What's the likely hood? And and what approx cost at a repair shop.

When I get one it will be my first bike and I don't know anything about mechanics really so I'm going in blind so to speak.

I might get one from a shop yet but I still need to educate myself a bit more if anyone can give any advise.

Cheers.

My first ever new bike was a kdx200. I financed it for 5 years and loved it almost as much as my wife and son. The engine did get stained and it wasnt due to the lack of care and maintenance. I traded it blind for a 07 rev 3 that has taken a bunch of neatening up to get it to where im satisfied.

What year bike is the one you are interested in? If it is old and has issues, it might cost you some money. If its a newish model and has the normal rev issues, it might be worth it.

You sound as if you know a thing or two by the way you write, so dont be too nervous. Luckily bikes are easy to work on, most of the time.

How about a price and year, then lets take it from there.

It's a 2005 and the seller says he would take a 1000 for it, tyres are on there last legs buy the looks of it but apart from that it looks fairly up together and also its reasonably local to me, most bikes for sale are well north of me.

Yes with a shop I would get the benefit of there once over so shouldn't be a lemon and would have some come back if it turns out to be 1? and there's less choise than with private sellers.

What do you mean barrell was brown? On the outside? Seems a liittle strange but might just be burned on mud or something. Doesn't sound like "the one" so keep looking. As mentioned, they are the easiest bikes to work on (compared to sports road bikes), try to buy one where you can be sure of the history - join a local club and ask around, some people have spare bikes they will sell.

Clutch drag is very common, but there are oils that make it less of a problem.

Good luck with the search and let us know how you get on!

I like buying privately as you can talk to the owner and quiz him on what events he does, what maintenance is carried out etc. also if you look around his garage and see a good few spares, bottles of oils and a well equipped tool box it gives you confidence that the bike has been looked after!

ikb don't always mean he's maintained the bike he's selling,Bought my last bike privately,which i do anyway, normally cheaper,more so when on a tight budget,The last 1 i bought chap had nice clean garage,Big box Snap on tool box.immaculate Montesa 4RT,and a tidy Yamaha ty 175,but Gas Gas i bought needed chain sprockets,gearbox sprocket tooth missing,no oil in the forks,besides other things.and that was a add in the classifieds on Trials Central, He might read this.All i can say i take your time and inspect it well.Wherever you buy from.

Cheers for replys, I'm going out next weekend for a ride with some tuition and after that ime sure it won't be to long until I take the plunge,

My mate's coming to so I check the bikes over were hiring to see how they feel and what to look out for.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers

Hi,

I could have a look at another rev 3 a 2003 that's available but this one mis fires.

Can anyone suggest a likely cause or causes?

If its likely to be the plug that's all well and good if it could be something major I won't bother.

Seller says its in reasonable condition and he would take

Unless your handy with a spanner i wouldnt be buying a bike that has a misfire as could be many problems from plug to CDI unit which could be either free to fix or expensive to fix.

If it was an easy fix why wouldnt the owner fix it himself before selling it?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Right I left the misfiring bike alone as it was to much of a chance as said, with regard to the brown barrel if it had over heated through lack of coolant liquid, fan not working I assume the problem this could lead to is warping of the top end?

Would a sign of warping of the top end be knocking coming from the engine? and or are there any other ways of checking warping hasn't taken place visually or buy using my ears?.

I think from what I've heard knocking also occurs if the piston and or rings are worn below tolerances and bearings to top and bottom end are shot and probably more.

What are the implications to a gear box-clutch or anything else on a bike where the oil hasn't been changed regularly?

If I go and look at a bike and the engines knocking I wont touch it with a barge pole but I would like to know a bit more if anyone can help?

Sorry for all the ?'s but I haven't got money to throw away and if I end up with a dog, potentially it could ruin my enjoyment of the sport before I get going so I want to get it right.

Cheers

Oh and "caveat emptor" yes I have learnt the hard way in the past.