Jap-Zap Practice?

Keen to learn this so my question is, is this something that is easier learnt on a good sized obstacle or is it something that can be learnt on a small obstacle? I know some moves are alot easier when done in full size as when scaled down the bike is all in the wrong position.

Also is there a way of training for this on the flat? I can already bunny hop the bike by raising the front up on the throttle, compressing the rear end then shifting weight forward and blibbing the throttle, I guess some of that is transferable to the zap.

See video...

http://youtu.be/dTSd4MbzoGc

Edited by sawtooth
  • Like 1

Im by no means good, but I started on a log that was just tall enough to hit the bashplate if I bugger it up. Then went onto a drum then bigger tyres. Its quite easy and the main thing is getting your timing right. I dont even know how many times ive watched that same vid, its a great help.

post-18493-0-35650100-1374835217_thumb.jpg

http://trialstrainingcenter.com/how-to-ride-motorcycle-trials/basic-ledges/

IMHO - Your video is showing a real nice double blip. The Zap is different in that you dont hit the wheel as high as the DB - you compress the suspension by driving the ft wheel into the face of the hit (as low as 1/2 way down it) There is also no pause - its a driven wheelie right into the face (wheelie is on the way up - not down like in the video) If done correctly, the zap will kick the backend of the bike up for clearance over undercut objects, where a DB wants to ride up the face. Unfortunately, the pics in the article above dont show that being demo'd but you can really feel it when done right. (as your skidpan will tell you as well) The hardest thing to learn for me was to get over the fear of driving the ft tire THAT low into the hit. The payoff is it provides great traction, rear lift and can be done in a very short approach.

• Like 2

I like Zippy`s #10. Every couple of years we`ll get a new rider that will attempt everything. Until the bike breaks or the rider gets hurt. Only takes a weekend or two.

"I have ridden (insert any motorcycle sport other than trials here) for the past 15 yrs and I am a BAD ASS! I can ride this slow, wimpy trials stuff!"

2 weeks later.........."Darn 12 yr old kids keep beating me and my bike is broke....again. I am too good for this sport. I am going back to (insert other motorcycle sport here) where real riders ride!"

Yep heard that before.

• Like 2

If you guys are referring to me then, A: I'm 33 and have riden trials mtbs for 18yrs, motorbikes for years and trials motorbikes for 4yrs. B: Theres nothing noobish about asking how well a manoeuvre scales down before I waste my time practicing it. C: Thats not a very welcoming spirit to newcomers which is also likely to stop them asking for help. You want the sport to grow then you have to help people learn.

Edited by sawtooth

Sawtooth, we were not aiming an attitude to you. Good that you are looking for different techniques. But the video you picked was not close to a proper jap zap. If you watch closely he was just doing a double blip with a kicker. A rider with good technique can get as much lift without that rock! Good luck on your practice!

Edited by lineaway