Penrith Observers ?

axulsuv

I like the new rules! Keeps things flowing!

This said the actual "NO Stop" rule isnt being completely respected, yes no one balances in front of rock face for 10 mins but some riders do stop for a split second whilst they crank it up and drop the clutch... I think thats fine.

There is the problem of different observers having the different views on whats actually stopping and whats not...the video that the FIM clearly stated that the front wheel has be in a forward moving motion at all times...

The exit of of section seven had 2 big rocks, (not sure in dry conditions) but on the Sunday in the wet, nobody was getting over them for a clean without stopping (one wheel on each rock) for half a second or whatever...the observer was fine it.

The observer of section 12 on the other hand was harsh as! He wasnt having none of it, nobody managed to get up the 2 staggered steps on lap 1...Raga managed to get up for a 1 on lap 2, obviously the crowd cheered but when then when everyone realised that the observer had given another mark to a 5 the crowd went mental! Best bit of the trial. Bou followed and got a 1 too.

Did anyone see section 12 on Lap 3?

I watched the world round on saturday at Nord Vue and witnessed many inconsistancies with observers marking, relating to non- stop rules.

I've watched all the world rounds this year on sky,with similar observations.

Observers are human ,yes they are,and consistancy is very very difficult to achieve.

My dislike of the so called non- stop rule is that observers have a much bigger influence on where riders finnish in the results,and even who wins the trial.

This cannot be good.

Mike B

• Like 2

From what i witnessed on saturday at the world round is yes the observing was very inconsistant and again very harsh! At the end of the day its down to the observers discretion and there decision is final! Sometimes this may be hard for some riders to accept! My personal opinion is that the non-stop rule is the root cause for this problem! Not only causing riders to take stupid risks and causing an accident but causing confusion amongst observers. There can be a spectacular big effort ride from a top rider who derserves a 0 for entertaining the crowd but then recieve a 5 for a momentry pause despite keeping feet up! Wether anybody else agrees i dont know!

From what i witnessed on saturday at the world round is yes the observing was very inconsistant and again very harsh! At the end of the day its down to the observers discretion and there decision is final! Sometimes this may be hard for some riders to accept! My personal opinion is that the non-stop rule is the root cause for this problem! Not only causing riders to take stupid risks and causing an accident but causing confusion amongst observers. There can be a spectacular big effort ride from a top rider who derserves a 0 for entertaining the crowd but then recieve a 5 for a momentry pause despite keeping feet up! Wether anybody else agrees i dont know!

What's complicated about you stop, you get a five ?

• Like 1

From what I saw on Saturday stopping did not necessarily result in a 5. On next to last section Bou reversed at least 3 inch and Raga a bit less but the both got away with it.

Just my opinion but I thought Dabill produced some of the best flowing rides in the true spirit of no stop whereas many of the others are still stopping and getting away with it far too often.

I know of two riders with about 80 years experience and many awards between them who were unwilling to observe at Nord View this year because of previous rider / minder abuse

arguing or interfering with an observer should incur an automatic 10 in addition to section score.

the rock shifting incident on section 2 involving Fajardo was pretty entertaining - bit like trying to put a snooker ball back in exactly the right place.

Some of the section layouts made observing difficult with riders choosing unforeseen lines.

Nord View is an easy drive for me but I think it needs arrest. It would be good to see the riders on a traditional course round Bainbridge / semmerwater for instance.

Cheers

• Like 2

When I scored at the U.S. round the FIM made it very clear that just because the spokes stopped did not mean an instant five. At the same time there had to be some intent of motion. Sounds hard, but was fairly easy to score. The riders all know any hesitation could give them the dreaded quick 5. As always riders push the limit, and by the way just because the feet are on the pegs does not mean it was a good clean ride. This is outdoor real trials, not indoor rules to entertain the masses.

• Like 1

Nord View is an easy drive for me but I think it needs arrest. It would be good to see the riders on a traditional course round Bainbridge / Semerwater for instance.

Cheers

Hear hear, let's get out of the quarries and onto some real terrain, like the previous decades.....................the Yorkshire Dales would be brilliant and Brimham Rocks could offer some spectacular rocks, set against a fabulous natural Dales backdrop

• Like 2

From what I saw on Saturday stopping did not necessarily result in a 5. On next to last section Bou reversed at least 3 inch and Raga a bit less but the both got away with it.

Just my opinion but I thought Dabill produced some of the best flowing rides in the true spirit of no stop whereas many of the others are still stopping and getting away with it far too often.

Sounds like the age old story of the biggest names being allowed to get away with it. Rolling back was a 5 under the old rules but didn't get enforced then either. When will the authorities actually make sure the rules they set are enforced? Makes you wonder what the outcome would have been if they had? Also applies in previous years.

This might be allready done, but a riders and observors briefing beforehand advising how the rules will be applied would solve a lot of problems but to be fair from what I saw, the application of the rules was about right.

I watched, last night, some youtube footage of the Penrith round last year and to be honest it was a bit boring, they were balancing and setting themselves up for the rock/tree/whatever then clearing it. At this years you had some drama in that they couldn't get their balance and had to look at the section as a whole as opposed to 10 or 12 individual obstacles with each section.

Personally I enjoyed the whole thing and I've ridden at NordVue (very badly lol) and not at championship level obviously and it is good to be able to see everything in a 100yd walk as opposed to some sites where you'd only be able to see a couple of sections.

• Like 1

Hear hear, let's get out of the quarries and onto some real terrain, like the previous decades.....................the Yorkshire Dales would be brilliant and Brimham Rocks could offer some spectacular rocks, set against a fabulous natural Dales backdrop

cant see getting the big trucks in at brimham or anywhere in the Dales?

cant see getting the big trucks in at brimham or anywhere in the Dales?

There's the rub, back in previous decades it was a tranny Van for the world's best Trials riders and nowadays it's a flippin' circus................I digress

However Pateley Bridge showground would be ideal, no problem with truck access from Harrogate end and a superb flat showground to park the entourage in

Brimham & Fellbeck not too far away, but I doubt they like to ride on the road nowadays to a group of sections, like Vesty/Lampkin/Birkett/Schreiber/Michaud/Rathmell/Lejuene/Andrews/Saunders did................. in the golden olden days

Pateley Showground - home to the 1976 World Superstars Trial....................it'd be good to see today's best riders ride a similar World Trial from there in 2014

Edited by johnnyboxer
  • Like 1

There's the rub, back in previous decades it was a tranny Van for the world's best Trials riders and nowadays it's a flippin' circus................I digress

However Pateley Bridge showground would be ideal, no problem with truck access from Harrogate end and a superb flat showground to park the entourage in

Brimham & Fellbeck not too far away, but I doubt they like to ride on the road nowadays to a group of sections, like Vesty/Lampkin/Birkett/Schreiber/Michaud/Rathmell/Lejuene/Andrews/Saunders did................. in the golden olden days

Pateley Showground - home to the 1976 World Superstars Trial....................it'd be good to see today's best riders ride a similar World Trial from there in 2014

Bugger the WTC, I wish they'd use them in the Miller round next year...

• Like 3