Penrith Observers ?

axulsuv

Just want to clarify / correct a couple of points on my previous post.

The section I referred to was actually 3rd from last, not 2nd from last.

I was stood at 90 degrees to the line of the section therefor I had a clear view of Bou and Rag stopping. The observers were all at the top of the hollow looking more or less head on at the riders with trees in the way.

Another thing I notice was on one of the middle section on the easy course, a fairly innocuos step about 3 to 4 ft high with a straight approach on flat ground. A great many riders fived or made a mess of this whereas 20 / 30 years ago a lot of club / centre riders on Bultos and Ty250s would have got upo fairly easy. It seemed to be mistimig releasing the clutch that was the problem, whereas in the ol;d days it was just a matter of lofting the frot wheel with the throttle.

Another observation - Burger vans not doing much trade - too expensive?

If its Nord View next year I will probably only go on the practice day. Less crowds, cheaper and very interesting.

Cheers

Reading the comments I must have had a good 2 days. No expert has complained about my decisions on section 11 on Saturday. Only one complaint about section 12 Sunday.

For the record I requested that a kicker be positioned in section 12 after lap 1. I did not want to continue putting the number 5 up. This was accepted by the COC and FIM section expert. The section was duly amended.

A front wheel resting on a rock face and dropping down to the ground in my eyes is a stop.

I am thinking of taking my expertise to the British \championship next year. This way I will see all you experts more often

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

• Like 2

Reading the comments I must have had a good 2 days. No expert has complained about my decisions on section 11 on Saturday. Only one complaint about section 12 Sunday.

For the record I requested that a kicker be positioned in section 12 after lap 1. I did not want to continue putting the number 5 up. This was accepted by the COC and FIM section expert. The section was duly amended.

A front wheel resting on a rock face and dropping down to the ground in my eyes is a stop.

I am thinking of taking my expertise to the British \championship next year. This way I will see all you experts more often

I hope you were biased towards the british riders just a little bit?

Thoroughly enjoyable three days. Very well organized. Sections expertly set out (Well done again Graham) and eased sufficiently to compensate for Sundays weather. I am in favor of the non stop ruling, but now unsure it works at this level of competition. It sounds pretty easy, non stop, if it is observed to the letter. With the world’s best on show, I would say this is near impossible. There has to be a consistency within each group of observers during the duration of the two days of competition which at times was not apparent and the spectators certainly showed their derision on numerous occasions during the weekend. The sport has certainly not benefitting from all the rule changes over the years and many top observers are now conspicuous by their absence nowadays.

As an observer, I take a close interest in how and what is going on around me. I was at section 12 on lap 3 on Saturday and was shocked when the observer gave Jeroni a two for toeing out on top of the stump. This decision cost the lad a deserved podium on the day. I did not think this possible when both feet are flat on the rests. This is my opinion and its obvious others would disagree. However, the rider has to have the benefit of any doubt going in his favor on every occasion. Make the most of this superb venue!!!!

• Like 3

Please don't bother.

• 2 weeks later...

Having also observer at penrith i can tell people now that i will never do it agian. and that is a promise. What ever decsion you made apart from a clean got questioned. Plus i only got thanked by 6 riders for observing both days. Now i gave up a weekend yes it was my choice. But i would still have apreciated a smile. The 6 People that thanked me were Fuji,Shep,Cox,Bullock,Dabill and Richardson. I even got a threat off a spanish rider because he CLAIMED that i was blind because according to him rolling back 4 foot is classed as a 0. I had a incident with a rider in the top 5 on sunday. The abuse i got off the public watching was Hatred un pleasent and rude. The minute that you turn round and say come on and do it yourself they shut up. I regard my self as a fair observer as i have observed at Youth BTC,BTC,S3's and Club & Centre level.

But after the weekend in penrith you will struggle to find me observing at a trial again. But again everyone can talk a good trial but its only the ones who have the balls to stand up and ride/do these thing

• Like 5

Having also observer at penrith i can tell people now that i will never do it agian. and that is a promise. What ever decsion you made apart from a clean got questioned. Plus i only got thanked by 6 riders for observing both days. Now i gave up a weekend yes it was my choice. But i would still have apreciated a smile. The 6 People that thanked me were Fuji,Shep,Cox,Bullock,Dabill and Richardson. I even got a threat off a spanish rider because he CLAIMED that i was blind because according to him rolling back 4 foot is classed as a 0. I had a incident with a rider in the top 5 on sunday. The abuse i got off the public watching was Hatred un pleasent and rude. The minute that you turn round and say come on and do it yourself they shut up. I regard my self as a fair observer as i have observed at Youth BTC,BTC,S3's and Club & Centre level.

But after the weekend in penrith you will struggle to find me observing at a trial again. But again everyone can talk a good trial but its only the ones who have the balls to stand up and ride/do these thing

There you go I don't blame this guy in the slightest. What he has said is smack on. The sport has lost observers and over fist because of riders, spectators, dads etc ATTITUDE ! this is something that has become prevalent in todays world. To me the observers decision is FINAL ! period if you have ANY grievance then take it to the Clerk of the Course. As for the spectators well that's what happens when you let the rabble in. Only answer as far as I can see it is as I have suggested before let the riders mark each other as they all seem to think they have a GOD given right to get whatever score they deem fit no matter what the actual ride should have scored. As for that Spaniard well he should have been excluded for dissention and abuse of an official. Pathetic behaviour by the riders and more importantly the spectators who have probably never got off their fat arses and officiated at any event never mind a WTC.
  • Like 2

I am sorry to hear this, but I am not surprised. I have never observed at this level, having only done club trials and the Wallace and the Downland. But even these events, you can get abuse from riders, having given up your day to help the event organisers, the last thing you want is abuse.

Maybe all observers should say, we aren't going to do this anymore, you riders are going to have to do it yourselves. So the scenario goes like this, when riders arrive at the trial (WTC, BTC, etc), they can have a draw on which riders are going to observe that day! Maybe then, the riders might appreciate the voluntary observers more.

I know it's been said before, but there would be no trial event without the hard working volunteers, who organise, prepare the sections, observe, do the admin etc, etc at all levels of events. Many rider just don't appreciate it, just expect it. How many of the crowds watching at Penrith, would be prepared to do the observing!

At the end of the day, observers are not machines, they do the best they can, if you think they have done a crap job, then please do take their place and have a go! Otherwise show your appreciation and support them.

Edited by shedracer
  • Like 3