Fork Caps Stuck Help

magh

Just purchased a 2002 gas gas 200 for the missus the forks seals were leaking so picked some new ones up today. Got the drain bolt out at the bottom fine and fluid out. Completly freed of the top yoke and I'm trying to undo the top cap to separate the forks but I can not shift them and ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks mike

I think the plugs on top of your forks are the same as on my '94 TXT, a large hex plug. Best thing is to use on the plugs is a 6 point socket that fits, not a monkey wrench.

Loosen the triple clamp bolts and slide the forks up about 2" to 3" so you can tighten the clamps to grip the fork tubes below the plugs.

Apply some penetrating oil around the plugs and let it soak to hopefully get down into the threads. Then try to loosen the caps. If they still don't come out, use a heat gun or gas torch to heat equally around the fork tube around the plug. Heat and try loosening, repeat as needed. The plugs are aluminum so will melt at around 750-800 degrees F. So only use enough heat to let them loosen. Usually once you loosen them about 1 turn, you can let things cool for safety, apply more penetrating oil and it will now soak down through making the threads turn fairly easily.

If this doesn't work put away the bike and go get a pair of those things in Zippy's post and enjoy.

I agree with previous posters advice except strongly advise against the use of flame heat. Use a hot air gun or rag soaked in boiling water. Ideally make a large washer from a piece of 10mm plywood or similar which is a tightish fit on the fork tube. put it at the top of the fork tube. You can then warm the fork tube without the heat getting directly at the cap. At the same time as you heat the tube cool the cap with a plumbers freeze spray. Then whilst applying torque with a T bar and socket sharply strike the part top of the socket with a copper mallet.

If this doesn't work put away the bike and go get a pair of those things in Zippy's post and enjoy.

I can barely handle the one..........hammer..... I already have! Much respect to the man that can handle two!

I was working on a street bike and having a hell of a time getting the caps to pop loose. once I loosened the clamps and move the forks up so that the threaded part of the cap was out of the triple clamp, they popped loose easy as can be. So try that first to save hassle with heat and penetrating oil first.............not saying you won't need either of those techniques, just try easy stuff first.

I think the plugs on top of your forks are the same as on my '94 TXT, a large hex plug. Best thing is to use on the plugs is a 6 point socket that fits, not a monkey wrench.

Loosen the triple clamp bolts and slide the forks up about 2" to 3" so you can tighten the clamps to grip the fork tubes below the plugs.

Apply some penetrating oil around the plugs and let it soak to hopefully get down into the threads. Then try to loosen the caps. If they still don't come out, use a heat gun or gas torch to heat equally around the fork tube around the plug. Heat and try loosening, repeat as needed. The plugs are aluminum so will melt at around 750-800 degrees F. So only use enough heat to let them loosen. Usually once you loosen them about 1 turn, you can let things cool for safety, apply more penetrating oil and it will now soak down through making the threads turn fairly easily.

Penetrating oil will probably not reach the threads but may loosen the o-ring so might help. The threads should have oil on them already from the fork oil.

Be sure to only tighten the top cap "snug", the o-ring seals the oil in, not the tightness of the cap and the cap is held tight by the upper tripleclamp. You may find the "drain plug" is actually the "base bolt" and fastens the cartridge to the lower leg. Don't forget the copper washer on that bolt when re-installing.

Jon