Moving From 12.5 To 16

ozz

Hi,

My lad is nearly 4 and the 12.5 is looking a bit small. I don't really want to our faze him by moving him to a bike too big for him.

I tried using the adjustable stearing head from my bicycle but it didn't just raise the handle bars it also move them forward quiet a lot which seemed to have a drastic effect on the bike's geometry.

I think he'll be ready around Xmas time to move up, but until then does anyone have any ideas how to make his 12.5 bigger and therefor easier for him to ride?

bd7o.jpg

I recommend that you just move up now. When both my boys transitioned from 12.5 to 16's, it was about a 7 minute process. The bigger wheels help significantly with stability, the brakes are more progressive, and the weight difference is insignificant. IIRC, by the end of the afternoon, they were asking for more speed.

Pete

Thanks, this is just outside our house, Askam, Cumbria, England. It's quiet handy, it's common land so the lal' lad can just ride around there.

Thanks for the advice, I'll have a look at the bars on his bicycle, if those are not suitable I'll head down the bike shop.

I think the 36 is the way forward then. It'll have to be a Christmas pressie. Should hopefully get more than 12-18 months before he grows out of this one!

We went to 36's, and I don't see a reason not to. If there is a downside, it is that dialing down the potentiometer can cause a little jerkiness in the throttle (and potentially {pun intended} you may have to dial down a 36 more than a 24). If your boy has decent throttle control on the 12.5, it's a non-issue.

Good luck,

Pete

Thanks Pete, well his birthday is coming up soon.

Did they go to the 24v or 36v?

Edited by flypigs

• 3 months later...

Great advice everyone, thanks :)

Izzy moved up to the 16" 36v very easily, a little hesitant at first but he stands up much more than he did on the 12.5

Now I'm looking at pictures thinking "how long before he grows out of this one?"

I'm glad we went for the 36, the power is fine for him (although it had a 9yo in tears when she rode it up a wall - that's what happens when mothers are left to supervise!).