Few Question About My 4Rt

dinozivkovic

Hello to all,

First question,is it normal that when I finish my ride and the cooling ventilator is running if I leave it on idle for a quite time it want stop.

Should it stop at some moment? Ok, these day's it is warm but any how I expect it will stop.

Another one is why when the engine is warm if I turn it of,to start it again every time I have to kick at least 4-6 times to make it run?

Last one is about gear's, It is hard to get it in to N position when it is warm. Is it the tipe of oil or?

Grate thanks for help!

From my experience over the last 7 years with my 4RT, there's no need to let it idle for cool down. Make sure you use the kill switch to stop the engine. For re-start, never give any throttle, just push the kick start lever through in a moderate way, no need to spin it like a 2 stroke. If it doesn't start on the third kick, give it one kick through with the throttle full open. This resets the ECU, and on the next kick with a closed throttle, it should start.

Neutral is hard to find on the 4RT and you want it that way for trials. Finding neutral accidentally while riding in a section is no fun. The kind of clutch/trans oil does improve finding neutral. The best is the recommended ELF oil. I use Castrol synthetic which is easier to find and cheaper, however, there is some clutch drag when cold with the Castrol.

Have fun!

They run hot (normal), but if you leave it idling for a long time, the fan should only come on for a while and then shut off until it gets hot again, it will continue to do this until you stop the engine. How hot is the ambient temperature where you live?

How old is the bike, have the valve clearances been checked, is the fuel clean and spark plug good, clean air filter? Are you touching the throttle whilst kicking it over(don't). If it doesn't start on first or second kick, reset the throttle, by twisting the throttle fully open and hold it open, whilst slowly kicking the engine over 2 or 3 times, then close the throttle and kick it over as normal and it will start.

Has the transmission oil been changed regularly and with a quality oil, like Elf HTX 740. Depending on how the bike has been ridden, there could be some issue with the selector fork. The Mont is normally pretty good.

I appear to have repeated what Rich has said :0).

Edited by jj65
  • Like 1