Bike Cut Out & Won't Start Again

sparky8181

ESP = extra sensory perception. I was joking about 2 of us posting the same solution (kill switch) at the same time (10:05)

On your photo there is a little black thingy bolted to the crankcase at the top right hand side of the flywheel. This is the trigger that tells the spark when to fire. trace the wires from this and connect to a digital multimeter on a low ac volts setting kick the bike over and look for a brief indication of voltage. If you look at the flywheel photo the flywheel has a raised portion at about 11 O'clock position. The black trigger should be adjusted so there is only a small gap between it and the raised bit on the flywheel. It is usually about 0.4mm but hopefully someone willpost an exact gap for you model of bike.

If you remove the flywheel (puller needed) one of the coils on the stator will look different to the rest. It has finer wire windings and may be clad in varnished cloth tape. Trace the wires from this and connect a multimeter set on the 0 to 20 volts ac range. Replace the flywheel and kick the bike over, should see clear indication of voltage. If you push the bike in bottom or second gear with the plug out you should see see 20 to 30 volts ac.

Cheers

OP,

Your question about seal for cover, on mine, it is a paper gasket, I glue the gasket to my covers, trying to keep them from tearing if/when I take covers off, works half the time, lol. silicone is a PITA to clean off. if you tighten the cover too tight it will cause the cover to deform and gap between bolts. that flywheel is a lot different than ones on 300cc's versions. Id want to clean (especially the bottom of the sensor, and that raised area as "Dadof2" mentioned in post above mine, make sure no corrosion, then line up the raised part to the sensor (little black box thing inside at 1 oclock, make sure sensor clears that raised part of flywheel, but use a business card to "air gap" them apart. Test by hand nothing else can "hit" that sensor BTW, by rotating flywheel. my magnetic / sensor area on my flywheel, is flush with flywheel, yours is not.

if you get the flywheel off, clean everything "that corrosion can flake off" then cover with something like WD-40, it will chase out moisture, that is what I do, always hopin a thin coat keeps it from coming back or growing.

Again these are troubleshooting before you have to buy parts, I guess 06 or near there, a few have had to get new Voltage regulator or something.

What I see happening is, in your best interest, check everything you can, then find someone that knows their way around these bikes, fellow rider or shop... those guys have had it happen to them, or know what it is, and you have saved some time "diagnosing" in a way, even if you have to take it to a shop.

Edited by sting32

Quick update,

Took the bike to a mates house for him to have a look at, and whilst looking under the tank I noticed that I had stuck the wrong connector onto the coil, after swapping this over the spark returned and the bike fired up :D :D

Obviously this has not always been wrong as it would never have started but I must have stuck it back wrong after checking all the connections, still don't know what the problem was to start with but at least its seems to be sorted (or at least the bike runs).

Went out last night for a couple of hours and it was fine

Thanks for your help fellas, and it it stops again I know where to come :thumbup:

Make damn sure you dont have lighting wires or anything that can short to ground, you know?! most bikes in USA have had lights removed and all that, they had to be "cut" out of older bikes, and now days most wired to unplug.

Oh I have a spark plug I could have sent to you, that works PERFECTLY until about 3000 RPMs then fails to spark. changed that and a bike I helped work on ran fine, so who knows for sure... another buddy had his kill switch close to grip, his hand actually hit switch in a certain position, so again some things can be a fluke.

another buddy had his kill switch close to grip, his hand actually hit switch in a certain position,

I can just picture it: Oh man, I was riding so AWESOME. I attempted that huge step, I knew I could do it. But the weirdest thing happened. It was like the bike just said "No Way" and shut off!