2004 Pro Rectifier

monty348

My 2004 280 Pro has a burnt out rectifier. Is there a common part available to replace this that is less costly than the GasGas part? Part number is MT300534009 (black socket) which replaces BT280434107 (blue socket). Ducati ignition.

My Ducati burned out twice in the past six years. I doubt there is an alternative to OEM. If you could take off the epoxy backing maybe you could replace the bad resistor. It should be easy to find under the darkened spot on the epoxy.

After the second time I burned out the box I noticed a loose wire hanging that was almost touching the radiator. The original owner cut off the lighting wires and left that live one hanging which probably caused the short and burned out the box.

• 8 months later...

Revisiting this issue for those who may benefit. With the help of my electrical engineer brother-in-law, I've attached a replcement rectifier diode in place of the burnt out diode, bypassing the failed printed circuit. So far the repair has been a success. More time is needed to verify longevity.

post-14497-0-46683600-1400548803_thumb.jpeg

post-14497-0-46009100-1400548842_thumb.jpeg

Thanks for the tip! I have a couple of burnt out rectifiers that I will try this on. A 35 cent diode is much better than $200 for a new box. I moved my rectifier to behind my numberplate to keep it cooler so it won't burn out again.

• 5 months later...

Revisiting this issue for those who may benefit. With the help of my electrical engineer brother-in-law, I've attached a replcement rectifier diode in place of the burnt out diode, bypassing the failed printed circuit. So far the repair has been a success. More time is needed to verify longevity.

Is this still working for you? What did you use to re-seal the circuit board?

Is this still working for you? What did you use to re-seal the circuit board?

Yes, still working. The initial repair was sealed with bees wax so it could be removed if the repair failed but the heat from the radiator melted the bees wax. It was then cleaned and re-sealed with silicon If I remember correctly. My son-in-law has the bike and he did the re-seal.

Im not familliar with the ducati system but that looks way too complicated and feeble, Must be a dual regulator rectifier and seems like a lot of bother all that just to power a fan or a couple of LED's if you have lights.

The later system with the 2 seperate units would do, or better still there will be people on the forum who could point you in the direction of similar parts that you could pick up for under a tenner and improve the system with some dead simple wiring.

Im not familliar with the ducati system but that looks way too complicated and feeble, Must be a dual regulator rectifier and seems like a lot of bother all that just to power a fan or a couple of LED's if you have lights.

The later system with the 2 seperate units would do, or better still there will be people on the forum who could point you in the direction of similar parts that you could pick up for under a tenner and improve the system with some dead simple wiring.

It's my understanding, from what others more knowledgeable than myself have written, that this particular part not only rectifies and regulates the voltage to lights, fan, etc. but also controls the spark. When it's not working there's no spark what so ever. This is related only to the Ducati system.

well, there are two wires between the cdi and the reg/rec and 2 wires from the alternator directly to the cdi. the bike won't run with the reg/rec disconnected, but i don't think that necessarily means it can't be wired differently with separate modules or otherwise.

http://www.trialspartsusa.com/diagrams/DUCATIdigital2004.jpg

I think I'll try the $0.35 diode first...it's pretty obvious on mine which one burned out and will replace both while I'm at it. i think radioshack sells a circuit sealing lacquer spray. Maybe I'll seal it first with that then fill with silicone rtv (I don't know how silicone would affect any electronics). The actual potting/encapsulating epoxy is expensive stuff!

well, there are two wires between the cdi and the reg/rec and 2 wires from the alternator directly to the cdi. the bike won't run with the reg/rec disconnected, but i don't think that necessarily means it can't be wired differently with separate modules or otherwise.

http://www.trialspartsusa.com/diagrams/DUCATIdigital2004.jpg

I think I'll try the $0.35 diode first...it's pretty obvious on mine which one burned out and will replace both while I'm at it. i think radioshack sells a circuit sealing lacquer spray. Maybe I'll seal it first with that then fill with silicone rtv (I don't know how silicone would affect any electronics). The actual potting/encapsulating epoxy is expensive stuff!

Note that the diode is directional. Installed the wrong way it won't work. Check that the RTV is approved for electrical components.

It's my understanding, from what others more knowledgeable than myself have written, that this particular part not only rectifies and regulates the voltage to lights, fan, etc. but also controls the spark. When it's not working there's no spark what so ever. This is related only to the Ducati system.

I had one Ducati unit fail and the fan stopped working but the engine ran. Replaced it and a few years later it failed with no spark. There were burnt marks on the epoxy in different places. Right now I'm running my bike with the first failed unit but using a battery to run the fan. When you replaced the diode, did you have a spark but no fan or no spark?