9701502735_26fa94fd9e_c.jpg

Montesa Cota 247 Restoration metal work by Mark Boon, on Flickr

9701499301_f58f8ef71f_c.jpg

After

Same photo as above but you can see the difference

9704719820_9173ed048a_c.jpg

Next was the manifold pipe, thought I best start on this seems as the rest of the exaust is complete

Started like this

9704782634_af846afc1a_c.jpg

9701542705_c0ea35cb5d_c.jpg

9704774012_8c3c579861_c.jpg

After a good amount of time rubbing down. I wanted to get it back to factory finish but no chance of that happening. Looking fo ideas on this please? the rest of the exhaust is satin black

9701535537_f91e03f75e_c.jpg

9701529631_2ecc8621c8_c.jpg

9701524739_d7efe75f98_c.jpg

9704754336_0e8f413c74_c.jpg

I also cleaned up the jubalee clips on the airbox hose and the hose itself

Looks like this now

9704787188_26090fc394_c.jpg

Ready to go back on the bike.

I have the fuel tank back now and waiting on the rear tyre to be changed. Once the tyre is complete the bike will go back together and be tested

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is high temperature paint that is used on auto headers in rattle cans. Usually a flat black finish but it will hold up with the heat.

Question: when you are polishing, are you doing this just by hand or are you using some buffing wheel or pad in a powered tool?

I have some of that paint but it looks bad :( I put a couple coats on the exhaust and then went over with the satin, see how that fairs. If it needs sanding down again and going over I will sort that.

I am purely using the autosol, a couple cloths and my hands. Have not been able to feel my fingers for a few days now but I am sure its worth it.

I had a little go at the engine covers last night. Not the best due to little chips in the metal etc but certainly looks better than it did. Still waiting on the rear tyre

You've done well getting two bikes in what are basically fairly good order for their age and lack of use. Mudguards will, I imagine, be unobtainable and I would suggest preserving the undamaged alloy ones for when you want it to look right but fit plastic ones for actually using the bike. Later Monts had the best plastic guards in the history of trials - they actually worked as mudguards and you could lift the bike by them, but originals of those can't be had. Modern bikes have mudguards that break if you look at them too hard :)

The kick start lever was in the wrong position in the photos - it might catch your leg. Correct position is rotated further forward but if you put it too far forward the mechanism will punch a hole in the casing so best research the correct way to fit the lever. Similary, don't be tempted to fold the footrest up to get a better swing on the lever.

You've done well getting two bikes in what are basically fairly good order for their age and lack of use. Mudguards will, I imagine, be unobtainable and I would suggest preserving the undamaged alloy ones for when you want it to look right but fit plastic ones for actually using the bike. Later Monts had the best plastic guards in the history of trials - they actually worked as mudguards and you could lift the bike by them, but originals of those can't be had. Modern bikes have mudguards that break if you look at them too hard :)

The kick start lever was in the wrong position in the photos - it might catch your leg. Correct position is rotated further forward but if you put it too far forward the mechanism will punch a hole in the casing so best research the correct way to fit the lever. Similary, don't be tempted to fold the footrest up to get a better swing on the lever.

I would say the other bike is a bit past it. That one needs a full restore as the frame is covered in surface rust.

I think with a bit of love though the other bike will run and ride.

We did have the kick set to that position but the mechanic changed it for ease of kicking it over. Seems to work fine at the moment but we have not riden the bike yet so could be in the way. Once we have that first ride under our belt we should be able to iron out all these little things.

The mudgaurds is another thing on my mind, we have the plastic covers for the old bike so might put them on while we test etc to keep the metal ones for best.

Hd my daughters 2nd birthday yesterday so not looked at the bike since the weekend. Will get back to it when I can

Had a price to chrome the manifold of £45 plus VAT and postage both ways. So got to be looking at £80. Not sure if I am going to do this, thinking about sanding down and spraying black the same as the exhaust?

Anyone got some thoughts on this?

Thanks

Mark

Another update...

I had a price to get the exhaust header chromed and to be honest, need to get some other bits sorted at a later date so opted to paint it satin black, fit and use the bike for testing purpose. I will remove all the chrome parts another time and get them all looking new again.

So now the bike has been sat for a couple weeks I wanted to try get it back together and running again.

We got the rear tyre sorted on the old girl so fitted that back up and adjusted. I also tapped up the engine so I could spray the top half black

Tyre fitted

9757755655_acca3da8cd_c.jpg

Montesa Cota Restoration by Mark Boon, on Flickr

9757744364_cd07d99a60_c.jpg

Before

9740814897_431109f3ea_c.jpg

Montesa Cota 247 Restoration by Mark Boon, on Flickr

After

9740809265_e1a1778569_c.jpg

9740836185_c6660d792a_c.jpg

After this I fitted the exhaust back on

9757707623_cfa4b19809_c.jpg

9757608396_688c6e8b2f_c.jpg

Other things I have done is cleaned the tank and tap filter out.

Sprayed the screw and bolt ends etc,

Fitted the air filter

After putting the tank back on and checking everything I primed the carb and gave it a couple kicks. She fired straight into life as she did before.

Took a video again, still missing the rear exhaust hose so getting exhaust gases leaking but that will be resolved soon enough.

I even

took it for a little ride up the garden and out the front of our house. Showed my dad and put her back. Just got to clean up a few bits now like the rear fender, get them fitted and she will be out for a test.

I have noticed one thing not working and that is the rear brake. I fitted it as it came off, it is not pulling the brake enough to engage the pads. I have checked and adjusted as much as I can... Looking for ideas on this?

I compared the pad thickness to new and they have well over half left...?

This is the video of her running again

Also found the place my dad used to go on these bikes

9740821673_c57b88dc39_c.jpg

9740827377_db708cc39a_c.jpg

9743022504_e479a274b2_c.jpg

Hope you like.

Any comments welcome

Looks and sounds good! Regarding the rear brake, I am no expert on this bike but most mechanical linkage brakes are made with splines on the brake levers and shafts. this allows you to mount the lever to a different angle to get more or less brake pressure. The screw adjuster on the brake rod is for fine tuning once you get the major position right.

Cheers mate. I have tried adjusting like you mention but moving the splin to the next notch means it is miles away from the cable :( I will double check it to make sure it was not me having a bad day.

I have started the bike a couple times now and she runs great. Smoke is clearing a bit and tickover is great. Also she seems to prime the carb better so might of had some dirt in there or something.

It is raining alot this end so not much will be done to the bike until that passes

Donor bike looks like it might be an Ulf Karlsson Replica.

Correct, it is. I like the air filter on the Ulf bike but would take some of the originality away from the other bike if I start chopping and changing bits.

Are the Ulf Karson bikes worth anymore or less than a standard 247?

thanks

Mark

Install the lever on the brake hub end, but do not connect the cable yet. Rotate the lever until the brakes begin to touch. If there is a lot of rotation, there may not be enough travel in the cable. So, you may need to index the lever on the spline to take up some of the slack before you connect the cable.

From memory the brake lever fits on to a square on the end of the cam. What I can't remember is if the square was aligned with the cam or whether turning the cam through 180 degrees would effectively change the relationship with the cam and give a better action with part worn shoes. I hope that describes things properly.

Edited by 2stroke4stroke

Guys, I think you have it spot on. I know my mistake.. or at least I think I do. Will confirm when I see it on the bike.

Fingers crossed that is a nice simple fix. I am tempted to try get the bike out this weekend and give it a run, see what is what.

Not got the tank cover back yet so waiting for that to finish things off. Just need to fit the right hand side foot rest and we should be away.. o yeah and a seat, hurts sat on the frame

I wet and dried the rear fender

Before

9892553793_553878a28e_c.jpg

Untitled by Mark Boon, on Flickr

After wet and dry

9892419306_b488c87a6c_c.jpg

After metal polished and finished

9892420294_ae5a4d10bd_c.jpg

I then put the two mud gaurds back on the bike

9892396914_f7c24c3abe_c.jpg

9892383344_8027d312f1_c.jpg

9892485983_13ea73583d_c.jpg

9892336205_7de818da21_c.jpg

9892450573_428abd15f4_c.jpg

9892304195_42fd62aa37_c.jpg

9892297985_97e3ca5746_c.jpg

I also sorted the rear brake out. Just needed the changes mentioned above. Thanks for your help on that one.

I kicked the old girl into life, started first kick! Had a little drive up the garden and the front brake is ever so slightly sticking on but think using the bike will resolve this. I also fitted the foot pedal. She is ready now for the tank cover and to be used and tested. I might have to remove the exhaust manifold and repaint with heat resistant satin black :(

Thanks

Mark

Hi Mark

Just noticed that the front brake arm is behind the fork leg, it should be in front . This will move the position of the brake actuation lever so you might have to adjust it like you have with the rear brake , it will give a straighter pull on the cable making it less likely to stick.You can just make it out behind my horrible Red Forks.post-18607-0-96087100-1380201584_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Dave

Edited by pro sport