Ty250 Mono Foot Rests

taylo63

Hi All

I have a TY250 Mono ( 1985) that has the original foot rests...As they look a bit small and battered I would like to know if there are any replacement pegs that could be used?

Looking where the originals are mounted..it seems even if i cut them off, there s minimal space on which to weld after market hangers...

Just looking to see if anyone out there has done any mods???

Thanks

When I bought a Pinky years ago the previous owner had added a loop to the rear of the footrest to effectively make it wider front to back. This made a big difference - if you put your weight on the back edge it was possible to turn from wheelspin to grip. Though the Birkett tweeks may have been responsible for the high grip levels it had.

The `85 foot pegs mounts were weak. That was one of the improvements on the 1986. You might strengthen it if you put on large pegs. The TY handled well, just takes time to get used to the tall stance. There is really no room to drop the mounts. If you want it to work like a modern bike, take the weight off the flywheel. If you have a machinist friend it would be better to shave off half the weight, but it is fun to try it with out the weight!

• 6 months later...

Chris Johnson in the US published sketches of how he added some steel just below the mounts, then lowered the pegs and remounted Beta studs to use modern wide pegs.

I want to try it s the TY feels SO tall and high center of gravity. Just no time.

Search for Bruce Anderson at Cableone, it doesn't come up on my first quick try. He had Chris's sketches all on the web (with CJ approval) for alots of mods to frame and geometry.

Hi, i have 2 ty monos and the 84 model has had the peg mounts cut off and plate steel welded over to enable modern peg mounts to be fitted .At the time of buying the bike,it was also fitted with low renthal bars and i found the riding position odd so i fitted a pair of 6 inch rise renthal bars and this transformed the bike and i ride it better than my previous gasgas 250 and 280 bikes ( i am a 47 year old clubman rider and do not need the power and agility of a modern machine)

If you choose to have the footrests altered,be mindful of the rear brake position also as this may need moving/altering also and make sure the footrests are welded at exactly the same height as each other or you will have the bike/yourself out of balance if one is a touch higher than the other.

My other ty is an 85 model that has standard pegs. I purchased a pair of steel serrated strips (selling on ebay for aprox £7) these have been manufactured as so to be bent around and welded to your existing ones to make them fatter and a good tip is to have the serrated strip bent to the size and shape of a modern fat peg and then weld the now bent serrated strip directly to the front of the existing peg,you will then have a gap to fill from the rear of the existing peg to the back of the new peg,weld in some steel plate,nuts or whatever to bridge the gap.

The pegs now feel like a modern pair and dont make your feet ache and although have not been lowered,do allow you to move your weight back to the rear of the now fatter pegs. Once used to it after getting off of my other bike,i ride just as well but i would say the change in handlebar height was a massive help, if you are tall as i am,you feel less tired and more comfortable but without doubt feel that the combination of lowered pegs and higher bars gives a much better handling bike,hope this helps,Steve