Is Anyone Using A Beta Alp As A Dual Purpose Machine?

firedfromthecircus

Been looking at the Beta Alp 200 and wondering if it can sensibly be used as a dual purpose bike?

Is anyone trialing on one, and how does it rate?

I am very strictly in the wobbler category so have no need for the latest, lightest, most powerfull trials bike.

For road riding I only need something for local B roads. No great distances intended. One bike would fit in the shed better than two. ;)

I currently have a Montesa 315, and obviously for trials it is far more capable than I am, so should I buy a seperate bike for the road or kill two birds with one stone and get an Alp?

Edited by firedfromthecircus

Yes you can, but an Alp is a lot heavier than a trials bike and you will be at a disadvantage. I use mine for LDT's (long distance trials) where it is ideal, and for running around locally and some green lane runs. The main downside is that road work ruins trials tyres.

the ALp is awesome...kinda light duty for any seriuos trail rides, and to much crap on it for any real trialing,, other then the novice or amature,

i love my Alp. its a great loaner bike, for lady friends and my 70 year old dad..

keep in mind..Alp parts are tough sometimes... as is the Euro twin shock.. and avoid any twin shockers with fiberglass tanks...todays fuel eats em..unless you rrun race fuel or drain the tank after every use.

Or maybe the Gas Gas Randonee? - The seat just clips on and off. Or would the KTM Freeride do the job for you. I imagine it would be tough in trials sections, but good everywhere else.

My own experience is that the compromises you have to encounter to get one bike to do it all often become such a frustration that you end up with two, or maybe 3, to cover all the bases.

I run a Rev 3 270 and have a long ride seat/tank unit for it. It makes it a great play bike for going further afield on technical trails and for playing in self-made sections, but the relation of your feet to the gears and brakes doesn't really work when you are sat down, the big leap from 3rd to 4th and 5th gears can be slightly difficult to ride around when off road at higher speeds, and on very long descents the brakes can overheat. None of this is a problem with a more dedicated dual purpose machine, but then they won't do the trials bit anywhere near as well.

seems you guys have a different idea of a Trail bike then i do.. lol...come trail ride with me some day in the high mountain single trac here in Colorado....youd be pretty sore and unhappy at the end of the day...

id love to ride the French Alps..doubt it well happen in my life..but a guy can dream.

Cheers for the replys. ;)

In answer to some of the comments.

An old twinshock like a 348 is out. Old bikes are rubbish. :P

The Gas Gas Randonee is much the same thing isn't it, except they only do a 125!

I would have a wee Scorpa in a heartbeat if I could find a good tidy one for sensible money. I missed out on a corker two years ago and have never seen the like since. Seems a lot of them have been hammered by sons of good trials riders. :lol:

I thought this might be a fairly close approximation.

I see the difference in weight is bigger than I thought it would be. 35kg more than my 315. It's even heavier than an old lump like a 348! :huh:

Cheers for linking the videos Pete. I had watched them on you tube before.

And yes, GJ. That one had caught my eye. I bear you in mind if it gets that far.

Some more food for thought so cheers guys. If anyone else has more to add be glad to read it.

• Like 1

Prolly not a bad little bike for didling about. Yet not unlike my Serrow, they are prolly not really GOOD at anything! Spent a lot less on the Serrow, and parts are easy!

I had an old 98 2T Alp with the Techno motor. It was heavy like a 348, but more tight trials oriented for novice line. You could do as well with a long range setup on the 315 Mont. Yet road use limited.

• 1 month later...

i had a 03 alp great little bike i sold it last year wish i didnt.so i got another one.anyone know how to set the clock on it?

Try disconnecting the battery then reconnect it at 12:00. I have to do this to set the clock in my wife's car.