Do We Have A Uk, Cdn, & Usa Importer Yet?

billyt

Has it been confirmed yet that Honda UK is going to be importing the 2014 4RT into the UK?

As for the USA & Canada do we know yet who is importing them?

Will they be sold out of regular Honda dealers in these three countries?

Has anybody ordered one yet?

Sorry for all the questions, but somebody had to ask them LOL :icon_salut:

Hi billet,

For the uk Honda uk will be the importer but we cannot buy from them..there will only be three places in the uk where you can buy montesa,only three which to me is pathetic..I work for a trials shop and am in the process of complaining to Honda uk about this and Craig's as they have not been helpfull at all. I am also trying to get Honda uk to allow us to be come stockist of them which is still ongoing..personally from a customers point of view I'd be pretty annoyed if I found I had to travel what could be some distance to get one when I live 20 mins away from a local shop but am told Honda won't let them sell.. Pathetic on honda front annoying for the customer even more annoying from the selling point.

Cheers JB

• Like 2

Given the state of the market generally, the average rider's view of what is the right bike to have and the preponderance of ostensibly more competitive machinery on the market I don't imagine that Honda UK realistically expect to sell more than a handful anyway. That they are dealing in them at all is, I suspect, probably only a contractual obligation between Honda Japan and Montesa.

Edited by 2stroke4stroke
  • Like 1

I've also heard the rumors about Honda bringing in and selling the 4rt through the "regular" bike shops. While it might be good for a new guy to see the bikes sitting on their show room floor I hope most experienced trials riders avoid them and here's why.

How much has or will American Honda put into our sport? The Importers of Beta, Sherco and Gas Gas are true trials people who put more of their own time and money into our sport than most will ever know! They not only take care of the trials riders on the bike end, but they also help shape our sport at the national level with hours of unpaid hard work. I spent the summer traveling and doing pit support for Beta at the nationals so I know the cost of being there to have parts and service for any Beta rider there. Its the same for Gas Gas and Sherco. Do you think Honda is going to do that?

Just as an example when I was at the Duluth national I was changing a fork seal for a rider with the Beta 4t. As I was finishing up he mentioned he was getting a new bike next year but hadn't decided between Beta or a 4rt. I just looked at him and asked "do you think Honda will be here with a fork seal and change it out for you?". Later during the trial he came in with some crash damage to his clutch hose. I got his clutch working again and sent him back on his way. Had it not been for American Beta sending me there he would have never got that kind of service.

In the end I say support those who support our sport and I don't see American Honda doing that. If the President of American Honda shows up at the NATC meeting and they send a fully stocked truck/trailer to the nationals I'll eat my words.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I think that Honda spends more on dinner for their dealers at a dealer meeting than the U.S. Trials importers spend on our sport in a year. Honda would probably spend more by accident than U.S. Trials importers do on purpose.

Having Trials bikes in mainstream bike shops would be a huge shot in the arm for our sport. I believe that would also improve the market for the existing Trials importers.

Honda offers promotional financing and regular business hours, among other things (you may have noticed that Trials bikes are getting expensive). Also not everyone is satisfied buying a new bike out of someones garage, or the pole barn behind their house, as is the case with many Trials dealers in the U.S.

Edited by motovita
  • Like 1

I think that Honda spends more on dinner for their dealers at a dealer meeting than the U.S. Trials importers spend on our sport in a year. Honda would probably spend more by accident than U.S. Trials importers do on purpose.

Having Trials bikes in mainstream bike shops would be a huge shot in the arm for our sport. I believe that would also improve the market for the existing Trials importers.

Honda offers promotional financing and regular business hours, among other things (you may have noticed that Trials bikes are getting expensive). Also not everyone is satisfied buying a new bike out of someones garage, or the pole barn behind their house, as is the case with many Trials dealers in the U.S.

I greatly appreciate those that have chosen to be Trials Bike dealers in the US and take the time and effort to order parts, bikes, supplies etc... and many of these dealers bring their stock with them to events in case there is a break down and the riders can still finish.

But.......there are major advantages to having an actual "Brick and Mortar" dealership. Parts on hand, regular business hours. Ability to take your buddy in to look at the bikes, more exposure to the masses when dealership is paired with other style of motorcycles, New to the sport people will think of them as "real" bikes because the business and support looks professional like the Motocross, Roadbike dealerships.

Down side of course would be prices going up to cover operating costs, Our dealers would have to be "full time" dealers and try to make a living from it instead of a side job/hobby.

The good and the bad from my opinion. With increased exposure and participation all of that may "shake out" in the end.