Bash Plate

mur

:rolleyes: hello guys was wondering if anyone has attached a bash plate under the tubes (159 frame) even adapted a ty plate or something?

i do not want to cut off the old tubes but as i trial most weekends the damage is inevitable on the caseings----would sacrifice a wee bit of ground clearance to gain protection

any ideas welcome

cheers murray

I took a 3mm thick Aluminium plate and cutted it out to the outer diameter of the low frame section where the perforated steel plate is mounted. (You can make a template out of cardbord which is the easiest way to get the right dimension).

Then I glued a 5mm cellular rubber to the aluminium plate drilled 4 holes, countersunk them and mounted the "lower" aluminium bash plate to the upper perforated steelplate with countersunk screws.

My 175cc with the "second" bash plate.

175%2527er+Bultaco+Sommer+82+03.jpg

This works very well, the cellular rubber soften Impacts and keep some tension to the mounts, the 2nd aluminium plate will then also not rattle around.

• Like 2

If you really need protection for the side cases of the engine, then add some cm/inches on both side and use thicker aluminium (around 5mm), but as thicker you choose the plate as more difficulties you will have to bend the plate properly to the underside of the frame.

In my experience you will also much more often stuck when gliding over obstacles with a wider bash plate.

At the time of the 159/199 Bultaco had an associated accessory company called Muira. Along the same lines that Hebo were associated with Gasser. Muira made a nice bash plate that would do the job. Getting one might be difficult but here's a pic to give you an idea:

2929032447_1_3.jpg

• Like 1

To be honest you dont need one.I have had my bultaco159 since I was 13 so over 12 years (I was 6ft tall even at that age) and learnt to ride trials on it.

As you can imagine I have had some pretty hairy crashes as a part of my learning curve (two dislocated shoulders and a dislocated ankle) but never did I damage the engine cases. The only time I damaged the cases was when my chain came off and smashed the back of the ignition cover. My fault as I took the chain well past its best before date.

I must admit my lower tubes are not in perfect condition but it shows that the bike is used not just to look at.

• Like 2

:D thanks again for all your ideas,toofasttim bash plate looks the biz and the no helmet would sort out the sweaty nappers,

your right i dont want to be to wide on some of the narrow sections.

and my riding is better than it was-- shall we say but i still want to deflect the inevitable damage that has and will occur to the old girl

the whole trials business is so addictive i cant stop!!!! thanks again.

cheers murray

I've used countersunk M10 bolts with ordenary nuts. I could just get in there with my fingers and a spanner.

I've also put some Loctite on the bolts.

The plate is made of 6mm aluminum.

I'll upload some pictures from the nuts (ahum!) Edit: See the link in my previous post

Edited by guys