Day Time Mot

imexian

40 minutes ago, nigel dabster said:

speedo required for road trials? no one i know ever has one? ssdt?

Technically yes, under C&U regs (not MOT)

Up until mid 1990's, most Trials bikes came with a speedo (on fork leg) and if you look back on older pics of SSDT, all TY Mono's and TYZ's sported their speedo's

Edited by johnnyboxer

On 7/6/2021 at 10:52 AM, johnnyboxer said:

Technically yes, under C&U regs (not MOT)

Up until mid 1990's, most Trials bikes came with a speedo (on fork leg) and if you look back on older pics of SSDT, all TY Mono's and TYZ's sported their speedo's

I dont need to look back, I couldve patented the pnuematic Bultaco speedo on my 340 in 82. Instead of a drive cable i had a hose connected to a lump of aluminium on the front brake plate. Ran on fresh air but absolutely looked the part.

So should all trials bikes used on the road have them?

• Like 1

Given how cheap and easy it is to add a bike speedo it wouldn't hurt TBH ... they aren't exactly intrusive, and it'd come in handy in the event of any jobsworths / nimbys encountered on the road or green lanes (because they're detachable, so you could take it off and throw it at them)

• Like 2

On 7/8/2021 at 3:17 PM, turbofurball said:

Given how cheap and easy it is to add a bike speedo it wouldn't hurt TBH ... they aren't exactly intrusive, and it'd come in handy in the event of any jobsworths / nimbys encountered on the road or green lanes (because they're detachable, so you could take it off and throw it at them)

Since I’ve only had my obviously newbie-friendly ‘16 ST300 for a matter of weeks, the tank or two of fuel has been spent on the basics of full locks and clutch control.

So far, the speedo has been the most useful accessory I could fit, because it has a clock on it.

On the DR350 and the XJ600, fitting a little Casio Bomber (F91W) on the handlebar has been essential while riding, since neither bike has a clock on the cluster. Much easier to glance down while riding.

The speedo I bought displays the time, so has been really useful. If I hadn’t fitted a speedo I’d have fitted a Bomber anyway.

With that said, I’d be loathe to lob it at anyone because then I’d have to check my phone. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/14/2021 at 8:30 PM, b40rt said:

People do, just maybe not you ?

So what proportion of the entry at your last road trial had speedos, cos im thinking 99% at mine didnt (spain excluded)?

Is there anyone on here who rides road trials who has a speedo?

On 7/24/2021 at 10:26 AM, nigel dabster said:

So what proportion of the entry at your last road trial had speedos, cos im thinking 99% at mine didnt (spain excluded)?

Is there anyone on here who rides road trials who has a speedo?

For this sort of thing the way I approach it is to not have anything dodgy in case you get pulled over - this is far more likely if you're playing about on green lanes (or riding on the road to a practice spot) than attending an event where there's lots of other riders about.

I was stopped several times when I was still in the UK by police who were following up on reports of "hooligans on motocross bikes", when the police saw that I was 100% legit I didn't get any trouble - if one of them was having a bad day and saw my bike wasn't legal then I would have had a bad day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, turbofurball said:

For this sort of thing the way I approach it is to not have anything dodgy in case you get pulled over - this is far more likely if you're playing about on green lanes (or riding on the road to a practice spot) than attending an event where there's lots of other riders about.

I was stopped several times when I was still in the UK by police who were following up on reports of "hooligans on motocross bikes", when the police saw that I was 100% legit I didn't get any trouble - if one of them was having a bad day and saw my bike wasn't legal then I would have had a bad day.

Maybe two months ago now, I was with a couple guys for some green lanes. My DR350SE is always filthy, and I don’t clean it often. The other two make a point about this, because they always detail their bikes  

We met early AM at the motorway junction’s coffee stop. One of the guys bought himself a drink and snack, I clocked two police cars with officers looking toward us. Ominous.

I said something like “Oop, check your plate’s clean!” As I wiped the dirt clear from my number plate, staring right over at the officers. I ride a large plate, but flexy and vertical three-line. By the letter of the law not legal, but huge and legible, so far no stops because of it. In fact, I have even had police drive up close behind me to get ANPR’d and then carry on their way.

The guy, who runs a 1/3-sized plate, drank his coffee and seemed oblivious to my remarks…

We crossed to the villages, onto the lanes, through some puddles and so on. Good little ride and three very muddy bikes. Then we split and made our own way home.

When I got back, he’d messaged us that he got stopped and fined by a policeman barely 100 yards from his front door.

The policeman’s first question was, “what is the registration of this vehicle?” The guy having owned it a few months hadn’t bothered to memorise his reg, and went to check. As he looked, to his horror it was one solid sheet of brown.

This particular officer was having a rare moment of sympathy. He gave him some words of advice over the obviously illegal number plate, and only a fine for illegible plate and indicators.

The guy was lucky that the officer decided to issue the one fine, but not issue the points and fine for the illegal numberplate.

All at 100 yards from the house. 

On 7/26/2021 at 5:07 AM, turbofurball said:

for these cicumstances i would probably do the same.

But that wasnt the question.

On 8/1/2021 at 12:21 PM, nigel dabster said:

for these cicumstances i would probably do the same.

But that wasnt the question.

By the same token, if I had a speedo I wouldn't want to be taking it off and putting it back on all the time ...