Book On Trials Techniques?

saluki

Like has been mentioned, the old, out-of-print book by Len Weed/Bernie Schrieber would be one of the best reads, if you can find one.

And the video from Ryan Young is a very good thing to have. I have the one called "Trials Training Techniques And Cross Training Tools", & like it a lot. It's a very good instructional video for the novice or higher-evel rider. He breaks down the components of a technique, and describes them very well, I think......

I personally love to read, and found this at an Australian trials website. It covers the basics pretty well, & gives a few ideas for some training drills, which I like a lot. It's in pdf form, and seems to be basically a "condensed version" of The Bernie Book, sorta..... Was "The Bernie Book" we refer to titled "Observed Trials"???

http://www.trials.co...manual&Itemid=9

Click on the Adobe deal that says "TRIALMANpdf.", and that brings up the manual.

Hope this helps some!

Jimmie

Edited by mr neutron
  • Like 1

The books from Lane Leavitt:

Motorcycle Trials: Techniques & Training form 1978

The book from Bernie Schreiber which was co editied by Lane Leavitt

Observed Trials from 1983

are good ones, (There is no very big difference in these books as both had Lane Leavitt

as author and the lineage is unmistakable when you know both books.

Both books show up here and there for a good price.

Best book so far is Felix Krahnstöver and Harry Niemann:

Trial. Akrobatik auf 2 Rädern. Ein Lehrbuch from 1995

(Trial. Acrobatics on two wheels. A textbook)

This is, (in my personal opinion), the best textbook for trialsriding so far,

it covers too modern riding technic's.

Sadly very rare.

Edited by pschrauber

I have Bernie Schreibers book and he really has a way of putting technique into print, you can tell he has done a lot of training

The things he describes make a great deal if sense and it's not something you can see when watching someone ride particularly with regard to making the bike hook up or how to weight the bike in a climb

Worth a read for sure

Mr. Schrauber, I would love to see the book by Felix. He had a very good trials mind and was a world class rider as well as a being a very good fellow.

I believe you have the author of the Bernie and Leavitt books confused. The author was journalist Len Weed. I feel that the Bernie book is much more detailed of the two and explains riding concepts in much more detail.

I still have many copies for sale. All proceeds go to support the US TdN Team.

Martin

Yes you are right, I mixed up Len Weed with Lane Leavitt, Len Weed was the co author who was involved in the book of Lane Leavitt and Bernie Schreiber.

To the other book which is sadly sold out, it has a story behind it.

It starts with the German magazine Trialsport in 1976. This magazine was "founded" and published by Felix Krahnstöver.

The magazine was published monthly and was only available by subscription, Krahnstöver did all by himself, writing, editing and layout.

There were some other editors and reporters too that added articles from events, motorcycle brands, technical tests, etc.

And already with issue Nr. 01 he started a series named "Wie werde ich deutscher Meister" = "How to get German champion (in trials)". I believe being national wise so famous as he was already the fifth times German trials champion back then there was a kind of demand whereupon explained his success. This article series went on over the next five years it paused for a year or so, (haven't got through the magazines) and then was partly repeated were there was progress in trials riding. These articles where then composed, checked and edited to the named book (Trial. Akrobatik auf 2 Rädern. Ein Lehrbuch) .

It covers good hints with their physical relationships while riding and too what happens if you do it wrong, also technical tips ....

You find a link with some reduced extracts here: https://lh3.googleus...-no/WWDM-Ak.jpg

(there a three pages in a row, and three rows)

From up left to down right:

1st: Title page of the first issue of "Trialsport" from 1976

2nd: Very early issue (extract) of "Wie werde ich Deutscher Meister" how to lift the rear wheel (in 1976!)

3nd: Title page of the book "Trial. Akrobatik auf 2 Rädern. Ein Lehrbuch".

4th: Influence of gravity

5th: - 7th: Operation of the throttle grip (extract)

8th: - 9th: Use of the front brake, (extract)

The Trialsport magazine is still available the journal was handed over to Hans Greiner, who no publish the magazine.

• 6 years later...

Hello, I purchased a 250cc Bultaco Sherpa T awhile back and want to learn to ride vintage trials.  I saw this post on Trials Central website about the Bernie trials book and was wondering if I might be able to purchase one to help me learn to ride trials. Thanks