Was Nostop A Success Or A Failure ?

geeman

Actually the problem with ragas "5" above is not that it was or wasn't, it was that Bou had ridden almost identically and not got a 5! That was the injustice.

Section 4, first lap at Isola had exactly the same scenario. Raga stopped and got penalised. Bou stopped and didn't.

Can only imagine the many times these top riders are at the mercy of the local punchers. If you have punchers who have an attitude to a particular brand or have even had an earlier "misunderstanding" with an elite rider it is only human nature to set them in their place if given the opportunity. There is no doubt Adam stopped and incurred the 5 penalty, but as dabster has pointed out, he was maybe taking the lead from Bou's ride and felt with this puncher there was a margin that was acceptable...... obviously that is where the whole system is NOT a fair reflection on the final scoreboard at the end of the day.

i'm on the fence, at the start of the year i was a stop and hop guy. since going to the US round i enjoyed the flow of the riders. what i did notice from watching almost every round on FIM-TV was the sections are the biggest problem. most sections involve a huge run up to an obstacle an easy turn up or down then another huge run up an obstacle. at the US round i saw almost all sections and the best ones were the ones that were tight and very cluttered in the creek with lots of rocks and mixed traction. i did not like any section in the entire video from japan. seemed like an outdoor version of an indoor event mostly man made look an feel.

what i don't like is that one thing we all seem to agree on no matter which camp we're in, the scoring not always fair and just from one section to the next. i watched first hand as cabastany got screwed while raga got a clean. not blaming adam but he is more popular so he must have ridden it properly? i was not happy about the scoring and neither are the riders. i talked to a bunch of the observers and they all felt they were just doing what they were instructed to by the FIM class the morning of the event.

rob

Needs technology to really be neutral like Tennis has embraced and finally that crappy football. I honestly think at this level non stop does not have the same importance as yester year with a " i lad ill let that slip good effort,a local lad tha nos"

WTC problem is no one is coming through as its the old boys from 90s n early 2000 trying to take on Bou.

The raga incident is easily fixed. The observers is right and any argument is 10 points not 5.

Simples.

Talk about acting like a spoilt brat. It was a 5 any way

Gautrek, I think you're confusing the world championship with sport. It is not. It is business. Raga probably lost a considerable bonus as a result of a decision that went against him when he did exactly what Toni did.

Gautrek, I think you're confusing the world championship with sport. It is not. It is business. Raga probably lost a considerable bonus as a result of a decision that went against him when he did exactly what Toni did.

Yes and this is exactly why most modern sports are crap.

Look at F1 and the Moto GP. What a steaming pile of poo both are lately. The F1 is sooooo boring and the Moto GP is not much better. We have football which is now worried that the money spoke and they stupidly chose to hold a 2022 world cup in one of the hottest places in the world in the summer. We have the world cup and the Olympics being held in that most stable and economically steady country Brazil.

Yes unfortunately for the fans they are not sports now. Just vast money making machines. How much is it to get into F1 and moto GP races. Then if you do go the place is full of sad people who have spent massive amounts of money on over the priced tat that advertises the money making business that run the events and run all of the race teams. If they want me to advertise their company then I want paying to do it. Not me pay for the privilege of free advertising for them. Or the stupid away and home strips which change every year in football and rugby.

Then you have SKY and all the other massive companies buying up the sports for absolutely obscene amounts of money and then making it non viewable to the mass population who don't want sky or BT. I have to watch my F1 and come next year the Moto GP online via a streaming site. As I loath SKY and all it stands for. But its actually easier now to find it than before.

9 million people saw England win the ashes in 2005( I think) . I remember that even non cricket fans like me got involved and would sit down and watch a test match and it was exciting. Then Sky got hold of it and the viewing figures dropped to 1.5 million and non cricket fans didn't give toss. This years event was a non event for most people as we couldn't watch it.

• Like 3

Don't know how many people watched the America's Cup that just finished last week, but I have to tell you I thought it was the best racing and TV format I have witnessed in a long time. Any sport , any time.

The sheer size of the 70 foot long Catamarans with there 747 sized double surfaced wings, up on the hydrofoils, going downwind at 48 mph and upwind at 35 mph for me was captivating. I also like the fact that it is a team sport where every member on the Cat must do their job during the racing. Unlike a pit crew that services the cars when they are stopped. Like Trials reading the course and selecting the best "lines" also was a reason i like watching the yacht racing. The crew with helmets, padded vests shows this is no longer the old blazer suit coat type sport. Not even close. This is a perfect example of a group changing the sport to prevent extinction. I am not a sailing person, don't even own a boat, but I can't imagine the America's cup even thinking about going back to single hull design boats.

Granted this is not a inexpensive sport and like AutoRacing needs big dollar sponsors. But I am sure this racing will have a trickle down effect to small boat racing that anyone can do.

By the way all the races can be seen on YouTube from start to finish.

• Like 2

I believe that no stop is best, particularly up to and including centre level but there clearly have been problems at BTC and above this year. Although it is supposed to be no stop a lot of stops have not been given a five. My feeling is observing has to be stricter and no stop properly and consistently enforced but observers are only human. How expensive / difficult would it be to install motion sensors on WTC bike?

Is a time limit tailored to each section the answer/, or does this alter the sport too much