1990 Fantic 250 As "starter" Bike?

saluki

I'm new to trials and am looking for a "starter" bike. A dealer who specializes in Trials bikes has a 1990 Fantic 250. Price is @ $1500US. He backs all his used bikes and rates this one as "7.75 Mechanical". I'm inclined to purchase from a dealer - especially a one specializing in trials bikes - rather than from an individual. How does this model stack up as a decent starter bike? What about parts availability? Any "issues" to watch for? The dealer thought that given my budget, size (big), and trials experience (zero!), he thought this bike would be a good one to choose. Comments?

i-zP44Q6Z-M.jpgi-nrJ6mNJ-M.jpg

Looks like a Tryalsshop bike, mike Komer is well respected and knowledgeable so I would have no issue buying from him. I think he also carries fanatic spares

You're right on :beer: . The bike is at Mike's shop and he reccommended it to me. Going down to check it out in a few days.Seems like he has an excellent rep in the trials community as you're the second person to have positive things to say about him in this forum.

This Fantic should be a lot better to ride for a learner than the Beta Zero however I want you to know that a more modern bike would be that much better again to learn on. I ride exclusively 1970s bikes and love them to death, but would never recommend them for a starter rider nowadays, because learning is much faster on a modern bike and the same applies for late 1980s bikes like that lovely Fantic.

Surely there is something like a late 1990s Beta Techno available for equally low $$$.

That Fantic would be priced higher here because they are a great bike for our air-cooled mono class, but unless there was that class, no-one would be riding one.

Get the Bike From Mike , Take a couple of his riding classes , and then enter some events ... He can set you up to try trials relativity inexpensively , and you have FUN !! Then if the trials bug bites you hard and you get infected , Buy a newer bike and keep the Fantic for your buddies to try trials on !

Glenn

Edited by axulsuv
  • Like 1

Get the Bike From Mike , Take a couple of his riding classes , and then enter some events ... He can set you up to try trials relativity inexpensively , and you have FUN !! Then if the trials bug bites you hard and you get infected , Buy a newer bike and keep the Fantic for your buddies to try trials on !

Glenn

My wife brought up a couple of issues regarding getting into the sport. #1, Hauling the bike - if I do get a bike from Mike, I'll somehow have to cram it into the back of my Subaru Forester wagon! and

#2, I live "in town" - well, village, but you know what I mean. Its an "urban" area, we have a back yard/driveway (pic below) that's @ 20 by 20 yards square, with some woods (not mine) adjacent - so not a lot of space to practice my trials riding skills!

i-6r65XDZ-M.jpg

Edited by saluki

If your bike wont fit into your car, buy yourself a tow bar, and either a trailer or spectacle type carrier, and join a club, or find your local legal pay to ride practice areas. You will be able to practice in your yard to a point e.g slow figure of eights, low speed balance etc. I will repeat what I said earlier in your other thread about the Beta Zero, and what feet up suggested above, buy a newer bike, or you may struggle to source spare parts, as I said earlier I struggled to find base cylinder head gaskets, rear brake lever, on a 1996 Beta Techno, and it had my bike parked up for a couple of months.

Trust me , Mike has or can get anything you need for the Fantic ...

Spend $ 125.00 and get a hitch on the subi , another couple bills at home depot for a trailer big enough for the bike , And then you can go play and still haul stuff to the dump when you need to . Or bring home the new dishwasher ? your wife wants ......

Tell Mike Thanks for the section Stuff for me .

Glenn

And contact Martin and get the Bernie Book !!! http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/topic/42740-team-u-s-a-trial-des-nations-fund-raiser-2012/page__hl__%2Bbernie+%2Bbook

Some of the BEST motorcycle riding instruction EVER !!!

Edited by axulsuv

On the Tryals Shop website he shows a TY175,might be a good choice for a starter bike,easy to ride,easy to resale if you get hooked.The Fantic may be a bit bigger but my 309 is pretty damn low slung itself,and requires more "savvy" to deal with day to day life. Any old garage bike shop can service the TY175 for you. I know you say you are big but if he still has the TY give it a spin while you are there.

I had an 89 Fantic during the early 90's when I was crashing a lot. The rear fender would regulary snap and the aluminum subframe would crack and break, things that don't happen with modern bikes. It should be a fine starter bike if you are going to take it easy. If you do a wheelie and the rear fender hits the ground, it will break. Look closely for cracks on the frame and any aluminum part because Fantics will likely have some. All 89 Fantics had rear hubs that cracked.

That forward kickstarter left bare will cause your boot to slip and hit you on the shin. It looks like there is a case repair above the countershaft sprocket. I had my chain come off and it broke through the case. $1500 seems to be too much for such a rough looking bike.

Theres's nothing wrong with choosing an older bike to learn on (but it wont be as easy to ride as something more modern). The Fantic you are looking at is 212cc not a 250 BTW.

I don't know what used bike prices are like where you are but I definitely wouldn't pay that much for a bike as rough looking as that. Fantic parts shouldn't be too much of a problem but you may find yourself buying an awful lot of them if you want a bike that works properly and is reliable.

I would echo what a few others have already said and suggest going for something 10 or so years old. A friend of mine recently started riding trials and bought a 2002 Montesa 315R for only slightly more than the price of this Fantic.

• Like 1