Not Sure What To Do - Gasgas Water Pump

shercoben12

found out my bikes got milky oil so taken water pump apart and found there are polished lines in the shaft with abouletly tiny grooves in (like really small) i am selling the bike in a week or two so dont need it to last too long. will i be alright with just a new seal for now or do i need a new shaft?

Best to sort it properly, You may see yourself waiting at a section next to the unlucky buyer :unsure: as posted above 'trials is a small world'

When you sell again In the future it's good to hear people commend you by recommending your bikes as well looked after to other buyers :thumbup:

Good reputation is earned over time but can be lost in seconds.

Edited by richt
  • Like 1

BEN, the newer shafts that come in the kits, are supposed to be harder, I thought I was told!??? So just do the whole kit, I haven't had to change seal and shaft for at least a couple years now...

But the seal wont seal if there is a groove in the shaft, dont ask me how I know! I know because I tried and then the frequent water in the oil, ruined that infamous split bearing on output shaft... that can ruin your weekend in a hurry...

Edited by sting32

You are right, the shafts are supposed to be harder.

This is cut & pasted from the Tech Bulletin;

Water Pump information, Pro 2002~07:

Beginning in 2004, there are three changes to the waterpump.

1 The center shaft has a new heat treatment. The part number remains the same.

2 The impeller is made of a new material.The part number remains the same.

3 The outer bushing (drain cap) is made of a new alloy. It has a much longer life than the original model. The new cap uses a “Torx” bit for removal, and installation. The original one used an Allen wrench. (See photo) The part number remains the same.

You are right, the shafts are supposed to be harder.

This is cut & pasted from the Tech Bulletin;

Water Pump information, Pro 2002~07:

Beginning in 2004, there are three changes to the waterpump.

1 The center shaft has a new heat treatment. The part number remains the same.

2 The impeller is made of a new material.The part number remains the same.

3 The outer bushing (drain cap) is made of a new alloy. It has a much longer life than the original model. The new cap uses a “Torx” bit for removal, and installation. The original one used an Allen wrench. (See photo) The part number remains the same.

The faces change but the names remain the same.......................