Missing 2Nd Gear

jimmygiant28

Hi,

Have just bought a couple of trials bikes after a 25 year gap. A 2010 Beta 80 evo junior for my 8yo and a 2009 txt 250 for myself. Couple of questions need answered if at all poss. What petrol/oil mix (putoline tt trial pro strawberry) should i put in the beta? Putting 80ml per 5 UK gal at the moment, the same as the gasser, but seems a bit smokey. Could I drop to 70ml? Wee fella does what I would call proper trial riding so the throttle is not open to the stops all the time like his quad bike is.

Other question is. My bike going great guns ( bit different to my last one, a twin shock ty ) but all of a sudeen it seems to be very reluctant to select 2nd gear going up the box. Its ok going down and once in 2nd there are no probs with the other gears but keep hitting neutral now when starting. Have tried to pull up gear lever by hand when this happens but seems unable to go in. I go back down to 1st then retry and sometimes works and sometimes not. Any help gratefully recieved, Cheers, James

I don't know how it compares to the 09 but I had an 05 250 pro and I can remember having the cases split to do crank seals. When putting it all back together I managed to create a gearing situation just like yours. Anyway after lots of head scratching I called Gas Gas UK and spoke to factory Kev, it ended up being something to do with the set-up of the selector shaft (shift drum) and the selector arm. I can't remember the exact procedure so I won’t guess but it was relatively simple to rectify, I did have the engine on the bench though. (I’m sure it was an eccentric bolt needing adjusting!)

I would thoroughly recommend speaking to factory Kev at GGUK, he is very helpful and superb at explaining these things, waaaay better than I can.

Don't think I have helped much.... sorry, Good luck

Did you hit a rock (or any object) with the shifter? there is a "breakable by design" fuse on the shaft of 06 and up I believe, cheap fix supposed to save breaking and bending of the "dogs" that move the drum, which aligns the forks in the transmission. there is also an adjustment TJP mentioned, I think there might be video instructions on Youtube (gasgasinfo is the username, Jim Snell, parts importer USA posted many tips and tricks in videos the videos ship with purchase of new bikes in usa), not absolutely sure how hard it will be to find though, it is about the return to center spring for the shifting shaft. that can make it hard to find gears in one direction or the other, when if the adjustment is slightly off.