Metal In The Gearbox Oil Txt 250 2009

stokesley

hi hope someone can give me some advice on my problem,

I let my brother borrow my bike and he brought it back without a kickstart i bought one and fitted it to my suprise it just span round sometimes engaging gears but in all different positions, i was told by a friend that it could be at best case the spring behind the clutch that had broke ( the one near the gear adjuster bolt)

But on draing the oil prior to taking of the clutch case i drianed the oil but there where two bits of metal on the magnet, i was hoping someone may be able to advise problem and cost to repair i know i need to split cases to get a proper idea of problem also if this helps to identify problem the kickstart shaft moved side to side when case was off PLEASE HELP!!!!!! thankyou in advance

post-19050-0-00984500-1380981983_thumb.jpg

To me that looks like part of your Selector spring. Engine out and split the casings job to get that sorted unfortunately.

Apologies it would seem that I completely missed your text up there. Parts will cost you about £50 in total as you have gaskets and that to take into consideration, if you take the engine out yourself this will bring costs down for yourself as that's quite a time consuming part of the mission! I'd take it to someone who know's what they are doing and if that's not possible take it to your nearest trials dealer and they'll know all the tricks to do it quickly, maybe another £50 in labour.

My selector went on my 2011 pro but luckily a pal of mine knew the craic and helped me out. It was interesting to see and learn how it's done as well so I'd recommend that as well!

These are parts of the selector mechanism that run inside the shift drum in the bottom of the gearbox. Engine will have to be spit and it will cost a lot more than £50 at a dealer. If its just these parts that are broken the parts will cost about £22 plus VAT plus a gasket set. its a tricky job riveting the new bits in and the pressed metal parts (that look a bit like a chain link) are asymmetric. You probably have a sheared top hat (behind the clutch) as well.

Where in UK are you at?

I was just about to make exactly the same suggestion as Slack - Al may do it in the evening while you wait and watch.

Copemech - I guess you will read this, it was Al the spanner I was talking about previously rather than Kevin Hipwell.

Cheers

Hi just a quick update been to have engine fixed with "al the spanner" turned out to have caused a little more damage than i hoped the parts were not cheap but al's expertise and knowlage more than made up for the parts price also his labour rate is very reasonable and as a bonus i got to watch the job start to finish