4Rt New 260 - Who's Got One?

johnnyboxer

Well I finally got out today!!

I had a pretty trick 06 4RT (Laia Sanz Map, S3 Ti pipe, HRC Silencer, Nissin M/C, flat tank etc) previously so any comparison is made against this.

I fitted the S3 pipe before going out.

After a gentle run to loosen it off I started riding the same sections I've ridden before.

Immediately I noticed how much torque the engine seemed to have, (gone is the bark), it seems soft off the bottom but more powerful. One section has a 90 degree turn left up over some rocks with wet peat in between and this was where I noticed how much easier it was to find grip.

Suspension and brakes were excellent as before ( no need for the Nissin)

I have to say that I was initially a bit underwhelmed (despite the looks) before I'd ridden it and doubted that I'd done the right thing but having ridden it I'm delighted. :guinness:

I'll try and post some pics later and maybe some Gopro footage.

• Like 4

Well I finally got out today!!

I had a pretty trick 06 4RT (Laia Sanz Map, S3 Ti pipe, HRC Silencer, Nissin M/C, flat tank etc) previously so any comparison is made against this.

I fitted the S3 pipe before going out.

After a gentle run to loosen it off I started riding the same sections I've ridden before.

Immediately I noticed how much torque the engine seemed to have, (gone is the bark), it seems soft off the bottom but more powerful. One section has a 90 degree turn left up over some rocks with wet peat in between and this was where I noticed how much easier it was to find grip.

Suspension and brakes were excellent as before ( no need for the Nissin)

I have to say that I was initially a bit underwhelmed (despite the looks) before I'd ridden it and doubted that I'd done the right thing but having ridden it I'm delighted. :guinness:

I'll try and post some pics later and maybe some Gopro footage.

Thanks Hughesy, Great to hear their is a difference and it's positive. It is always a bit of a gamble ordering a bike that you haven't ridden, my first 05 was ordered purely on understanding what a massive advantage EFI would be on a 4 stroke trials machine and I was not dissapointed. Great to hear that the new 260 is improved exactly in the areas I was hoping for, even with a Zog3 map (from ferret flasher) to soften the bottom end it was still a little fierce for me and I found it difficult on 12 inch size rock beds where the engine braking and sharp response of the bottom end made it difficult to "tractor" through like the 2T would, it was always hard work.

Hope you didn't get it too dirty !!!!

• Like 1

If I were buying a new trials bike I would certainly give one of these serious consideration. What is their weight?

Just out of curiosity i emailed Honda UK and asked if these bikes are OBDII compliant - so far I have not had a reply.

If I were buying a new trials bike I would certainly give one of these serious consideration. What is their weight?

Just out of curiosity i emailed Honda UK and asked if these bikes are OBDII compliant - so far I have not had a reply.

I think they are 72 to 73 kg.

A friend of mine collected his new Repsol yesterday, and I popped round for a quick look. Looked very nice. The new rear mudguard really goes a long way to updating the look. Seems to make it look smaller than the last as well. Haven't had a go on it yet, but hopefully I will at some point.

I haven't really posted on here for a good few years and generally keep my opinion to myself, however it seems like a few of you want to know a bit more about the new bike and after riding it properly Saturday & Sunday I feel it's worthy of a post!

Firstly my reasons for buying one:

1. I've had a new Beta every year since 2003 and I fancied a change, change is development and progress. I must hand praise to Sherco on this front, even though I just can't seem to like riding them and don't buy them, every year or two they make good radical changes. I also hated that to get a Beta Factory bike you have to wait till March for it to arrive then in October / November either buy the new standard bike or feel like you're not on the latest model for 6 months till the next factory comes out. I ordered my Repsol just after the new Beta pictures and specs came out.

2. Everything to do with Repsol is cool, Toni Bou, Fujigas, who wouldn't want to have a bike that looks like theirs? I also got into watching Moto GP last year and watching Marquez hit the scene this year has encouraged me even more to be part of the Repsol gang, all be it un-officially in my imagination.

3. The hundreds of after market trick parts you can get for them. I like my bike to look different to anyone else’s.

To answer a few other questions quickly before I comment on how it rides, Eddie, the machine in the background is a flat bed laser cutter for sheet metal. Oz Thumper, no, the exhaust doesn't fit straight on, the dealer assured me that the exhaust part codes were exactly the same 2013 – 14 so I ordered the exhaust online. When it arrived the silencer rear fixing was about 40mm out, luckily for me I own a fabrication business so I made a neat little bracket to make it fit. The front pipe and everything else matches up perfectly. German Munster, both exhausts seemed to sound pretty much the same, I’ve never even ridden a 4rt before full stop so I can’t comment on any differences performance wise.

Now for how it rides and my main likes:

1. Most surprisingly for me it feels light, once the suspension bedded in riding it and hopping about it didn’t seem heavy like I expected.

2. Power, this is for me the first of two major good points about the bike, it’s so smooth and tourqey. Everywhere was pretty wet and the rocks were greasy, however it seemed to grip everywhere so long as you keep your weight over the back. Engine braking is virtually nonexistent which really makes the transition from 2 stroke to 4 stroke pretty easy, I was feeling pretty confident with it after only an hour maybe. Another maybe more psychological point to bring up is that when you open up the throttle to hit a step, the mega noise the bike makes just urges you to get up stuff with a big smile at the top.

3. Suspension, incomparable. Better than anything I’ve ever ridden ever. I’d like to ride the standard 4rt just to see if it’s the Showa that makes the difference or just the geometry, linkages etc. At my practice ground there’s a couple of big steps with gnarly loose run ups, I have never been able to touch them on my Beta as it flicks and chews about on the run up, the mont just glides across everything and then roars up the step.

4. Build quality, everything lines up and fits properly, most parts are well engineered or even over engineered. Also I’ve now washed my bike twice and all the stickers are still properly intact.

5. Maintenance after general riding... ride, wash, dry, air filter clean, chain oil and you’re done...

My massive massive complaint has to be with Honda UK, although the dealer I bought mine from was very professional I would have much preferred to go a few miles down the road to my local trials dealer and supported him and the scene that I have grown to love. All Honda have done is dilute an already difficult market and possibly directed their customers away from that local trials network that we all need to support. It’s the local dealers who turn up to trials on a weekend, answer our silly questions, solve our bike dilemmas and generally wipe our arses.

Another gripe is the no discount and what Honda says goes. We are supposed to be in difficult times, living necessities are now most people’s priority with cars, bikes, lawnmowers and most of Hondas products coming in second. They ought to re-think their approach and make us feel happier about handing over our hard earned cash.

• Like 9

I'm so happy :0), collected mine from Steve at st Blazey yesterday evening too, excellent service, he's a genuine nice guy too and it a family run business with real enthusiasm for the new Monts. He's getting the new Montesa riding kit in too, for anyone interested. Can't wait to actually ride it, it's feels so long since my RTL went.

Must say, the 260 in red looks great in the flesh, but not as good as the Race Rep ;0).

Montesa riding gear you say? Finally, I can be full fan boy :D

Edited by warby beta