4Rt New 260 - Who's Got One?

johnnyboxer

Any other 4RT 260 owners care to share their views. I'd love to hear from someone who has just upgraded. I think I speak for a few folk when Is say that while we're comfortable with our 4RTs, we are just looking for a valid reason to start to the Mrs that 'its time for a new bike'. Or at least consider whether the 260 feels different enough in its ride to demand to be put on a wish list. Penny for your thoughts.

We had an '05, '07 and an '09 Repsol out playing today and a few 2T folk got to try them. Different maps, set ups but the same gearing on the bikes. Jumping from my '07 to an '09 Repsol, the front end of my '07 felt much heavier than the '09. It is not of course, but the change in steering head angle was noticeable.

Ross

Just got in from my first ride, have to say, the difference between my 2012 and the 260 Race Rep are:

The suspension: feels slightly faster with a bit more spring from my 12, but still has that superb Showa plush feel.

Brakes: very good consistent strong feel, without being too sharp.

Clutch: very smooth, I don't think it felt that different from my 12, a little more progressive maybe, due to the new master cylinder (I know the pre 09 were a bit sharp) but I really liked my mont clutch anyway.

Engine: (I have changed the gearing from standard 10/41 to 9/42) from the bottom end, power is very smooth, definitely softer than before, but there is more torque at the bottom end too, so as you ride across a camber and then turn up a bank, traction is very good, it pulls very smoothly but also builds to a lot more torque, without loosing traction (it was wet tacky, claggy, clayish type soil covered in wet leaves). The front end feels lighter, my thoughts are that this is partly due to the suspension settings and partly due to better engine torque at the bottom end, this makes it even easier to lift the front with throttle. The bank I rode up was fairly steep and about 20 feet, I was very happy with how the bike felt like. Engine braking, it's still a four stroke, but engine braking is less than before, when you shut the throttle, it rolls on, there's still some engine braking, but I'm sure people coming from a 2 stroke will appreciate it. I think the biggest benefit from less engine braking is when you shut the throttle and then open it again, on a slippery surface. I cannot tell you what the power is like at higher revs, as most my riding today was at the lower end,( running it in).

Overall: feels really NICE, powerful and lighter, not much lighter, (it isn't) but the front end does feel lighter, everything feels familiar, but better, traction is great and it looks REALLY NICE :0). The bike looks smaller and shorter (it's not) but the rear mudguard is much narrower and a bit shorter. The fuel tank is still quite big (I had a mitani flat tank on the 12) but looks much nicer and sharpens up the new up to date look.

I am SO HAPPY :0)

And so is my Brother, below. :0)

post-14348-0-97108100-1383512311_thumb.jpg

Edited by jj65
  • Like 4

Just got in from my first ride, have to say, the difference between my 2012 and the 260 Race Rep are:

The suspension: feels slightly faster with a bit more spring from my 12, but still has that superb Showa plush feel.

Brakes: very good consistent strong feel, without being too sharp.

Clutch: very smooth, I don't think it felt that different from my 12, a little more progressive maybe, due to the new master cylinder (I know the pre 09 were a bit sharp) but I really liked my mont clutch anyway.

Engine: (I have changed the gearing from standard 10/41 to 9/42) from the bottom end, power is very smooth, definitely softer than before, but there is more torque at the bottom end too, so as you ride across a camber and then turn up a bank, traction is very good, it pulls very smoothly but also builds to a lot more torque, without loosing traction (it was wet tacky, claggy, clayish type soil covered in wet leaves). The front end feels lighter, my thoughts are that this is partly due to the suspension settings and partly due to better engine torque at the bottom end, this makes it even easier to lift the front with throttle. The bank I rode up was fairly steep and about 20 feet, I was very happy with how the bike felt like. Engine braking, it's still a four stroke, but engine braking is less than before, when you shut the throttle, it rolls on, there's still some engine braking, but I'm sure people coming from a 2 stroke will appreciate it. I think the biggest benefit from less engine braking is when you shut the throttle and then open it again, on a slippery surface. I cannot tell you what the power is like at higher revs, as most my riding today was at the lower end,( running it in).

Overall: feels really NICE, powerful and lighter, not much lighter, (it isn't) but the front end does feel lighter, everything feels familiar, but better, traction is great and it looks REALLY NICE :0). The bike looks smaller and shorter (it's not) but the rear mudguard is much narrower and a bit shorter. The fuel tank is still quite big (I had a mitani flat tank on the 12) but looks much nicer and sharpens up the new up to date look.

I am SO HAPPY :0)

And so is my Brother, below. :0)

post-14348-0-97108100-1383512311_thumb.jpg

Time to start buying some bling for them now. Looks nice

Time to start buying some bling for them now. Looks nice

Billy, just going to get the triple clamps powder coated and that's it. Fitted the Mitani Titanium front header pipe, Mitani titanium sidestand and fitted a lanyard kill switch, but to be honest, that's probably all I'm doing. They look so nice standard and the black triple clamps will finish it off.

Have you got yours yet?

Edited by shedracer

Post #50 no discount. If Honda are fixing the price and stopping dealers offering discounts I am near certain they are breaking both UK and EU laws.

"Fixing" a price would be when all the manufactures agree not to sell below a certain price, this is their MRR and their sticking to it. Take it or leave it.

Post #50 no discount. If Honda are fixing the price and stopping dealers offering discounts I am near certain they are breaking both UK and EU laws.

Their not breaking any laws, the dealer is selling at the RRP set by the importer, if they wish to sell at a lower price they can, but if demand outstrips supply, then they have no reason to do it. What they cannot do, is sell it above the RRP. They are also doing very low finance on them if that's how you want to buy a new bike (for anyone wanting to buy a bike on finance, (don't know the rate), then surely the Mont is the bike to do it on, due to there quality, reliability and resale, for 3 years use) and discounts are available on multiple sales ;0), but not a lot.

Just spent fifteen quid on having this done.

post-14348-0-86428000-1384070593_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Damn, there's the new mudguard off Santa's wish list.

Looks like the new lighter/slimmer/sexier 260 mudguard will not bolt directly onto older 4RTs as the tank shape is different at the head of the guard. All the mourning holes look to be the same tho' as the frame appears unchanged.

260tank.jpg

'14 vs '07 mudguard shapes

c4c12ebf-2536-4b7d-8d8f-20f77eb3b761.jpg

Edited by ross brown