4Rt New 260 - Who's Got One?

johnnyboxer

Nicely summed up Hughesy,, the 4RT will never suit everybody, but as others have said, you need to have a test ride yourself, only you can decide. :-)

I also appreciate the build quality and it also puts a huge smile on my face when I ride.

I was at a Trial the other day and while waiting for my turn, I heard a guy say to his mate, "that's the hardest bike to ride here", I chuckled to myself, little did he know, I guess lots of people have pre conceived ideas about the Mont. :-)

• Like 4

Dumb question.... Does the bike have Allen headed bolts, Torx headed bolts or standard? I'm trying to get a montesa 2014 for the Scottish and want to know what tools to carry. (very few as it is reliable I hope....) apart from tyre kit...

Dumb question.... Does the bike have Allen headed bolts, Torx headed bolts or standard? I'm trying to get a montesa 2014 for the Scottish and want to know what tools to carry. (very few as it is reliable I hope....) apart from tyre kit...

Well done for getting an entry. Good luck getting a 260 in the UK, there sold out of Race Reps and I don't think there are many standard bikes left. Montesa completely underestimated the demand for the Race Rep, they thought they would sell a lot more standard bikes, but most buyers want the Showa suspended bikes. I think the next batch of race reps won't be here until April. I think Honda might be doing something for the ssdt, but you'd have to look into that, (give Steve at st Blazey a call) maybe they'll do something like Pidcocks did, renta bike packages.

I see you have an OSSA 280, why don't you ride one of those, or your own bike, I know your in Kenya, but I would have thought ossa will be doing renta bikes, (then you would be on a familiar bike, which you've practised on and know how to work on, with spares you can keep for your own bike).

Last yr I did the ssdt on my ossa which boiled incessantly, blew a cylinder head and has had a water pump go in Kenya and a dogbone linkage break... A lovely bike but not 100% reliable. I'd like to get another bike as well (growing sons...) and have decided to splurge on one which I will then take to some other events in UK and then back home. I don't think it will be too much of an issue to get used to it as I raced enduros for 10 yrs on a Honda XR250 and it was awesome over logs... after that a KTM 520 so I'm qu

The standard one seems well suspended as I am about 100kg and I like the Dunlops as have got used to them here. It is only 5 kg heavier than my ossa and I have tried one out in Yorkshire.

I feel it a reasonable bike as many people have told me of their reliability and I was overtaken by so many along the road sections, breezing along at 50+? Mph when I was boiling like a kettle at 35!

The price of taking a bike to kenya and back, together with the repairs etc were around £3500 in total and I think buying a new reliable bike a better bet. Renting a bike is great but I'd like to have it 3 weeks to get some practice in other bits of Scotland, which I found invaluable, eg the climate and how to manage clothing, damp glasses, cold hands, what snow is like, all issues I don't have to face here!

From what I felt after riding it, the Mont is a little more front heavy but feels a lot more stable. I think it will work better for me on moor crossings and I'm a lot more used to t he 4 stroke feel...

What should I find most difficult to adapt to?

• Like 3

I wouldn't imagine you'd find anything too difficult to adapt to, it's just different to a 2t and a bit heavier. They are brilliant bikes and your idea of getting acclimatised/practice is a very good idea, seeing as you are coming from a place that is so different. Who are you buying from, get your order in ASAP, I know of a few who are waiting for the next batch to be built.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just picked up my new 4RT, the standard model. Very pleased with it - nothing to fault. Having come from a Sherco I can feel the extra weight but it isn't excessive, and it will certainly take some getting used to. It grips very well even when it's very muddy and is very stable - suspension is excellent. A nice extra is the very comprehensive manual the machine comes with. Only mod - to start with - will be to try one tooth down on the drive sprocket. I've been warned that buying titanium bits can get addictive :)

Cheers,

Ian.

• Like 3

Last yr I did the ssdt on my ossa....

Hi, I observed the SSDT last year and remember you on your OSSA. Well done for having another shot - can't imagine an environment much different from Kenya - and I hope you've been busy getting bike fit :-)

Cheers.

Edited by ian640

Just picked up my new 4RT, the standard model. Very pleased with it - nothing to fault. Having come from a Sherco I can feel the extra weight but it isn't excessive, and it will certainly take some getting used to. It grips very well even when it's very muddy and is very stable - suspension is excellent. A nice extra is the very comprehensive manual the machine comes with. Only mod - to start with - will be to try one tooth down on the drive sprocket. I've been warned that buying titanium bits can get addictive :)

Cheers,

Ian.

Lucky man Ian

Enjoy your new bike

• 4 weeks later...

Quick update on the 4RT - it's taken a while (3 trials and 2 practice sessions) to get used to it after my last bike - a 2010 Sherco 250, which was a great bike - and at the last practice session I could do everything I could do on the Sherco.

Plus points: Handling I would describe as neutral - neither quick nor slow. It seems very stable and well balanced with great suspension. I haven't owned a 4RT before and I've been surprised at what's available in the motor - seems very powerful and clean (not surprising given the fuel injection) and makes a nonsense of most obstacles (in the scope of my level of ability - mid-ranking clubman) no matter how slowly you approach them. I was a bit concerned about the grip but it seems fine, even in the mud we get in this part of the world. It consistently starts at about 3rd kick from cold and first kick when warm. I say kick but it's more a case of spinning the motor, softly. Mechanically speaking I haven't laid a finger on it since new apart from fitting a smaller front sprocket. It's clear Honda/Montesa have put a lot of effort into making the bike 'rideable' - which IMHO it is, very much so.

I bought the bike from St. Blazey MX - service from them has been excellent throughout.

Criticisms? Only thing that's annoyed me is the side stand. Either there's a knack to making it stand up (?) or I'm buying an aftermarket one.

Cheers,

Ian.

• Like 3

Ian, unfortunately the side stand is not good. Most take it off, but I can recommend a Mitani one, either alloy or Titanium. Nicely made and works as should, only down side is the cost.

Edited by shedracer
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Got a bit of a shock today . In January, i bought a 2013 GasGas pro 250 and it's made of crap materials.So been thinking of chopping it in for a Beta 4t as opposed to the 4rt like the one pictured above. There's £200 difference in price between the two bikes . I know from what i've been reading on here , and know someone who has one that it's more advanced than the Beta by a long measure.For the quality and track record of the Mont , kind of made my mind up. Just a shock of the price difference dumbfounded me . Master stroke pulled there then.

Its some years since I rode a 4Rt and wondered if someone can answer following questions about the new ones.

Firstly due to the high tick over speed can they be ridden in tight circles without clutching?

Can tickover speed be turned down?

How hard are they to kick over compared to a 280 / 300 2T?

One thing I would like to see on them is a formed wrap round sump guard rather than that protruding flat thing.