Raga Rear Brake

jdilks101

Hi there just wondering if anyones had the same problem as me. Brought a 2012 raga june last year since then had 5 rear brake masters. Gas gas uk replace on wty no problem but cant shed any light on a solution to the problem. Any thoughts? Theyre lasting 2 to 3 months and im using correct fluid and the ceramic heatproof washer is installed. Cheers.

hi, i'm on my third master cylinder and previously replaced the first one with 2 replacement kits, but gas gas don't want to know and I've had to pay for these myself, the bike is only a 2011 so only 2 years old . the second master cylinder lasted just over 6 months at a cost of over £100 each time, my lad has missed trials or had to drop down to easier route because he had no back brake,

I have been told the problem is it has a bur inside the cylinder where the piston goes up and down, then that causes the rubbers to split, so would need to file this out with needle file, then put new replacement kit in IF you can get one that fits, the replacement kit I just bought doesn't fit the second master cylinder so just had to buy brand new master cylinder, and can't get a refund on the replacement kit because I had marked the end bit trying to get it out, if I knew it might not fit I wouldn't have put it in,

also been advised to keep an eye on the brake fluid and replace it regularly to get the dirt out ,could be the dirt causing problems

has to be a design fault, something definitely wrong with so many of us having problems!!!

have a son :thumbup: with a smile now that I've replaced the cylinder again, bled the system, and now have a back brake ready for sunday lets see how long it lasts, the smile ...and the brake

Edited by mickmc

We had that problem on the 12, they shipped us a new master, I recall they said the 2nd process of deburing/cleaning of the piston area was probably gone wrong for one "lot" range from the brake company's MFG process?

But, I have had no problems since (dad owned this bike, rides a good amount, and now it is my bike). what I understand is, the piston has rubber orings, and another piece, so if they didn't take just a little edge off the sharp insides of the cylinder's piston area (around the fluid ports) it will rub a hole in the rubber pieces that push fluid. same type of thing happened to me on another 2stroke bike that was bored, the shop didnt take that sharp edge off where the ports meet cylinder, the ring actually caught and broke in that area. you can fix it yourself, new orings, if you take a tiny peice of sandpaper wrapped around a punch and take the sharp edges off the ports where the piston of the master cylinder rubs... last I knew anyhow. it has been more than 12 months since I got my rear master cylinder, we ride all the time (several days a week plus many weekends plus competitions)...

That is NOT gasgas's fault BTW, but they have been helping everyone out that I know of, if you follow the rules for "warranty" that is.

now I will knock on wood, and hope? SO, I hope I dont have this issue to look forward too? but I think mine is OK... Some were also saying (might been in earlier production number bikes???) that the hoses were too short and causing them to leak when better riders that used a lot more of the suspension than maybe I do in our class/difficulty do?

FWIW our 2013 Raga hasn't had this problem which the 12 did by now (had it happen after 3rd oil change or less than 2 weeks of ownership) we get the raga usually in or around mid or late August. Not sure if was 1st or 2nd shipment either.

Hi there just wondering if anyones had the same problem as me. Brought a 2012 raga june last year since then had 5 rear brake masters. Gas gas uk replace on wty no problem but cant shed any light on a solution to the problem. Any thoughts? Theyre lasting 2 to 3 months and im using correct fluid and the ceramic heatproof washer is installed. Cheers.

I would say next one, take it apart, see if it is just rubber being chewed through. I am not "in the know" about all problems, but if it is just failing rubber parts, not something else, you might be able to "prevent" it on the next one they ship, if you are careful (with tips from someone better than what I posted above?)

Edited by sting32

Stu bought a hone and removed any burrs inside that were taking out the rubber orings. Also replaced the rear hose with the 11 style on most of his customer bikes after he heard of the problems. Seems the 12's had short hoses and when folks switched to a 10t CS - they all failed. GGUSA covered him on the parts. He says the hydro's on the 13's are great.

do you know what size o rings to replace with ....just in case, because we have to buy either a replacement kit for £25 (that wouldn't fit) or a new cylinder, can't get hold of the o rings, in the UK that is

shouldn't have to work on the cylinder should be 'fit for purpose' and certainly last longer than 6 months

• Like 1

That is NOT gasgas's fault BTW, but they have been helping everyone out that I know of, if you follow the rules for "warranty" that is.

Of course GasGas ( the manufacturer and the distributors) is responsible in the first place.

They put the bike together and in this case used faulty parts as far as I can tell.

If a car had serious brake problems due to faulty parts and they want to deliver a proper customer service, they would most likely recall it...

• Like 5

My 2011 rear m/c has also just failed and GG UK still don't have any repair kits (more than a week now). Does anyone know if I can retro fit with the old style master cylinder and remote resevoir? I've got two club trials and a national coming up one after the other and would like to take part in them all with some confidence that my rear brake aint gonna go tits up again?

Of course GasGas ( the manufacturer and the distributors) is responsible in the first place.

They put the bike together and in this case used faulty parts as far as I can tell.

If a car had serious brake problems due to faulty parts and they want to deliver a proper customer service, they would most likely recall it...

Your ****ting us right? they ship you the part to fix free, you have the "dealer" fix it, he's reimbursed... If your dealer is screwing you over by not doing what Stu is doing, then what?

Personally, having the only bike I own "recalled" and lost use of, is bigger problem than me taking a file to a part, which I haven't had to do (YET).

I would assume the "kits" are being used up if the cloned brake parts company, has had to redo its MFG process, hasn't had time for making all the spare parts, or gasgas having to pay for their SCREWUPS, is short on money?

BTW, being all "I shouldnt have to do squat" about it, havent had the new TV fritz out? car, or anything? Plus, You are NOT talking about suppliers for BMW Cars for christs sake, what does gasgas sell worldwide, 2000 bikes a year? ford & bmw has to sell hundreds of thousands, so with that volumn, the supplier have to have big facilities and staff/workers to build the parts they supply. Ford takes 13 years to make changes, what did it take gasgas to adapt new parts and make one heck of a bike to beat?

Some of you are narrow minded about things, that arent really mass produced, the iPhone was developed for years and antiquated before any one bought it, all specs wise. Kind of like the Montesa... But they did have good quality control, oh wait, the Iphone4 had bigger issues, I forgot... Montesa costs what now?

Get of your high horse sting

I was just saying how it would be in a perfect world, and that Gasgas is responsible for what they sell in the first place, just like any other brand.

They select the (FOR INSTANCE!) brake manufacturer, not the customer.

I never said that Gasgas (UK or USA) deliver bad service and don't do everything what they can to help the customer.

Is it really narrow minded to stand up for your rights?

Edited by guys
  • Like 4

Ragas bike was running the old remote setup in the USA WTC this year. So it can be done. Not sure what they did, if anything, to the brake pedal.

Honing the old MC to remove the burrs is a simple task for a machine shop. Hones come in all sizes and grits. (I know Stu does it himself in his garage) I can find out more about what Stu used if thats something your considering. I know he only had to do it on the one shipment of six (2012) Raga bikes.

I dont blame you for being p****d about the problem as a good rear brake that you can count on is vital. If your dealer is out of rebuild kits, I'd call around and dig one up from someone else.

• Like 1

Guys,

Hard words dont bother me, I completely understand that I probably instigated it, because unlike face to face, you have nothing but words to take feedback, to know I was giving you "hell" in many ways, some of it tongue in cheek.

I know better, I been where you are. and yeah, I can be upset just like you over it. I like gasgas, sure, kind of like the ossa too. Many of my friends were changing the master cylinders for front brakes for many years, I never have. But to each their own I always say, far as some things go.

Anyhow, I had that exact problem, on exact same bike (mines a 300) and it cost dad a decent finishes for a 2 day trials event... He was upset like you at first, then we "fanboy rationalized" oh well they'll fix it... Him, not knowing it was the brake, he thought it was just him, I jumped on and instantly knew we had a problem after washing it to dry the brakes... The bike was his and 2 weeks old or so. But when they replaced the part, it has had pretty good amount of riding done for the last year, then I got it in August, no problems knock on wood? really I'm knocking on wood! Sunday is club event and next weekend a 300+ mile trek to a 2 day event. My desk is at least particle board, I pray that that will count. LOL

I understand the frustration, but I live in the Sticks here in usa, sparse population, all that, I guess we've gotten used to no cell phones while "ya'll had them" in the bigger population areas, and availabiltiy of sources and mechanics and all that, so easier for me to put worry on another type of solution than another you might feel like.

I didnt mean to belittle your strife, and I am thick skinned, most of the time,

My Yoda in me says, if offended you are, sorry I am.

Edited by sting32
  • Like 1